Need Information: Gran Gaggia Prestige

Phoenix

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Been planning on getting a espresso machine for a while and recently founda store selling a gran gaggia prestige for only £50 now I'm aware it has a pressurised portafilter and the gaggia classic is probably a way better machine. But I'm on a budget and I'm hoping some one can tell me about the build quality of the machine, if its reliable and how easy replacement parts are to acquire.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The pressurized portafilter may not be ideal to some, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for your situation. There isn't much info on this machine and so far I haven't been able to find a schematic diagram to get a better understanding of the internals. Based on the 950 watt rating, that machine probably has an internal heating element/stainless boiler, which some Gaggia models now have after Philips took over the brand. The older tried-and-true Gaggia boiler design is/was an aluminum upper half mated with a chrome plated brass lower half with external heating elements with a 1425~ watt rating. This is what the Classic and others have.

For the price point you really have little to lose with that machine. Use it awhile and move on to something more advanced if need be.

FWIW the Gran Gaggia seems to get decent reviews...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-RI8327-Prestige-Espresso-Machine/dp/B009CVSTTW

Last edited:

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
If your budget is tight, a pressurized portafilter machine, with a cheap hand grinder like a Hario and fresh roasted beans will make better coffee still then your average run of the mill chains like Charbucks.

Phoenix

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Well when I get it I'm planning on depressurizing the portafilter if possible it could be as easy as buying a new basket.
And yes I already have a hario skerton so the grind isn't a issue. Would love to get a classic but its a hard sell on my fiancée who is happy with our autodrip.