I don't want plastic touching my hot coffee

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Could someone recommend a small capacity coffee maker with no plastic parts that touch the water or the hot coffee? Stainless steel and glass would work for me. 16 oz. capacity would be perfect but I'll go a little larger if I must. Under $100, and it has to work with a paper filter. I read that coffee is healthier when filtered through paper.

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it will melt, but I read that "almost all commercially available plastics that were tested leached synthetic estrogens...some BPA-free products actually released synthetic estrogens that were more potent than BPA." I did more research and now I'm looking for a simple pour over brewing device that works with a paper filter. I keep getting close to finding something, but finding one that uses regular paper filters (cone shaped is fine) is taking a while. I keep finding ones that use a filter with little holes punched in it, or the thinnest of any paper filter, or that the Chemex filters are "different than standard paper filters...quite thick..." I read a study somewhere that said paper filters remove something that may be harmful, and I want to make sure I get a coffee maker with common paper filters.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Get a porcelain cone filter holder, some Filtropa paper filters, and you're done. Beehouse makes a great setup. Hario makes some great filter holders.

I think your disdain for plastic is unfounded, but like my dad used to say, "It's a free country."

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The Beehouse looks good. I'm just looking a little more for cone filter holders made of glass before I order. A reviewer said the Beehouse is weak from the viewing hole and finally broke. A glass one that uses regular #2 filters would be perfect.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I read that "almost all commercially available plastics that were tested leached synthetic estrogens...some BPA-free products actually released synthetic estrogens that were more potent than BPA."

I'm curious.... are you trying to eliminate all plastic items from your life, or are your just now starting with your coffee maker?

Have you considered using a French Press?

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to limit plastics for years. Some have unhealthy fire retardants which I read years ago were being phased out but you can't always find out which items have them. So, for example, I prefer the steel Airking fans over Vornado fans. Vinyl is probably the most unhealthy for the air so I'd choose a polyester shower curtain over vinyl and ceramic tile over vinyl tile.

I read about the very porous filters of french presses and I want to use a paper filter, so I think I'm sticking to the cone filter holder. Probably the larger size Beehouse.