Instant coffee for pour-over?

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered a Bee House pour over "cone brewer" but I still have a mostly full jar of Choc-full-o'Nuts instant coffee. Should I use it? I'm not throwing it away so I'm either using it for instant or for pour over.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Not that I'd endorse drinking instant coffee, but I don't think your Beehouse will work for that. Doesn't it have to be steeped/dissolved, rather than having the hot water run through it?

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I've had Dunkin Donuts coffee, which isn't instant, and it didn't strike me as special. I'm not really a coffee lover. It's just OK and I'm only bothering with the pour over method because filtered coffee is healthier.

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Because it's healthy. I like fruit smoothies, cocoa, and malted milk shakes but having one with every meal may be sugar and dairy overload especially if I want to have cheese or a piece of fruit too. I started drinking tea when I heard it was healthy and the same with coffee. I don't really mind. Actually, now that I add cocoa powder to my coffee, I'd actually like it if I added some sugar but it's no big deal.

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
Bohan, why don't you try using the instant for a pour over and let us know how it turns out? Compare it to what other ways you brew it. We could at least make this an experiment!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I doubt that coffee has enough positive health benefits to make that the sole reason for drinking it. Any good thing it may offer could be found in other foods, without the negative issues. Coffee can be good, but it's not all good.

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
This is pretty much the worst thing I read about coffee: "Coffee consumption of any quantity seems to be safe without any increased mortality risk. There may be some protective effects but additional data are needed to further delineate this." (The Effect of Coffee and Quantity of Consumption on Specific Cardiovascular and All-Cause Mortality: Coffee Consumption Does Not Affect Mortality. Am J Ther. 2014 Jun 17). The only other issues I know of are with excessive coffee drinking. For people with bad kidneys, two cups is too much, but even they can drink one. But I'm always on the lookout for new information.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
My take on it is, it's not needed and it's not a food. Whatever we put in our bodies, our bodies have to deal with - digest/process/eliminate. I like the flavor, and enjoy the caffeine, but if not for those two things, I would not be ingesting it. If I want something to drink, it would be water as not to put more stress on my body's load. It sounds like you're into a very healthy lifestyle. Like I said before, the antioxidants or whatever nutritional benefits coffee is supposed to have... if you don't actually like coffee, why not find those nutritional benefits elsewhere?