My theory on preventing over extraction

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been hating my pour over coffee so far. Next time I'm going to watch the drips and when they get significantly clearer, I'll remove the filter and pour water directly into the cup. Do any coffee makers stop brewing when the drips reach a certain clarity? That may be a good invention.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've been hating my pour over coffee so far.

I recall, from reading some of your earlier posts, that you've been used to drinking instant coffee. You also mentioned that you bought pre-ground coffee to use with your new pour-over setup, which is probably better than instant, but not as good as buying whole beans and grinding them yourself. And, you mentioned that you've been experimenting with your coffee/water ratio, water temperature, and brewing time.

There are a whole lot of factors that go into getting your coffee the way you like it. Keep on experimenting, and keep notes if you need to. You'll eventually get it to come out the way you like it.

But if you're still looking for that instant coffee flavor, you'll never create it by using a pour-over or any other brewing method.

Rose

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I've been hating my pour over coffee so far. Next time I'm going to watch the drips and when they get significantly clearer, I'll remove the filter and pour water directly into the cup. Do any coffee makers stop brewing when the drips reach a certain clarity? That may be a good invention.

Why would pouring water directly into the cup be better than the almost-clear drips coming from the filter?

Find some good coffee, grind it as Rose suggests, use an appropriate ratio of coffee to water, heat the water and pour, and when it stops dripping you're good to go.

What you're referring to isn't over-extraction; that would be having the grounds in contact with the water too long, but I doubt that's what you're experiencing.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Was nothing more than a sarcastic jab. IMBHO (In My Brutally Honest Opinion) people often over think coffee to the point of it not being enjoyable or fun. Sure some tinkering is required for most things coffee related, especially espresso, but all other forms of extraction are quite simple and shouldn't require much thought or effort to achieve greatness in the cup.

Last edited:

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I have another idea. After making the coffee, maybe I'll rinse out the filter and pour the coffee through again, all the way to the top of the filter, to filter out even more of those oils that raise cholesterol. How would you describe the taste of the oils? People say things like "the oils add a whole new layer of flavor and complexity" but they don't really describe the taste.

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
OK, this coffee is unworkable for my taste. It even leaves a bitter aftertaste 20 minutes after I drink it, even with milk. I saw a "light-medium" ground coffee that I may try next time. I'll eventually try whole beans that I'll put in my blender (I'm not buying a grinder yet). I want to try all the possibilities.