Do drip machines automatically rinse paper filters?

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Do drip machines automatically rinse paper filters? If not, then I may let the filter dry after I rinse it. I want to make sure the filter absorbs the cholesterol raising oils like studies say. I'm not sure of the methodology used so I was wondering if it works when wet.

Also, how uniform is a good paper filter? Does this look OK to you:

Attachments

• coffee-filter.jpg
    coffee-filter.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 145

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Wetting the filter is only to reduce that paper flavor that most, if not all, paper filters impart to the coffee. Auto-drips do not pre-wet the filter. Prewetting and/or drying would not be necessary for the filter to trap the oils you're concerned with.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Who cares really?!? Who conducts these studies? Who cares about their findings? Don't read too much into garbage studies.

I have to agree with you. Everything I have read about these studies so far shows they were only for a few weeks if that. There have been some studies on other subjects that have gone decades and people here want to jump on cholesterol in coffee.

Reality is going out side and breathing the air raises your chance of getting cancer. But I'm not asking you to hold your breath!

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Everything I have read about these studies so far shows they were only for a few weeks if that. There have been some studies on other subjects that have gone decades and people here want to jump on cholesterol in coffee.

Waiting for cholesterol levels to rise isn't like waiting for cancer. It's not such a hardship for me to use a paper filter so I'm using one. Unfortunately, it looks like robusta raises cholesterol less than arabica. I'm not sure I'll switch to a blend higher in robusta but I'll do a little searching for a mild one.

Reality is going out side and breathing the air raises your chance of getting cancer. But I'm not asking you to hold your breath!
I want to move out of New York City though.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Bohan,

You're an interesting character... I'm not dissing you, it's just that everything I've come to see as usual and customary in the average person's coffee world, you seem to contradict. You apparently march to the beat of a different drummer. Maybe that's a compliment.

I don't know many people who go looking for robusta. The taste can be quite unpleasant, and for most folks the concern (false concern IMNSHO) about cholesterol wouldn't be enough convince them to put up with a yucky cup.

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I read Conilon is "a relatively mild Robusta." If I can find something with 15% Conilon, 85% Arabica with a description that sounds mildish I think it's worth a try. I can adjust my milk and sugar accordingly.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I read Conilon is "a relatively mild Robusta." If I can find something with 15% Conilon, 85% Arabica with a description that sounds mildish I think it's worth a try. I can adjust my milk and sugar accordingly.

I say taking the relatively small amount of harmless (again, my opinion) cholesterol, and reducing that be 15% is an exercise in futility.

The medical institution has you duped into worrying about cholesterol, and more and more studies are showing it's not the amount of cholesterol that leads to arterial damage.

I'll still be interested to hear what you find, flavor-wise.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Bohan,
Sounds as if you're into pourover, etc and not espresso, which is the only extraction method I could conceive as being capable of squeezing "massive amounts of artery clogging cholesterol" out of any coffee, lmao. Ever have an overextracted ristretto? One extracted so slow/tight you could see globules of oils dancing on the surface? That is likely the only possible source of anything remotely close to cholesterol, etc. in coffee.

People worry WAY too much about the most minute things that will likely never affect their lives one bit.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Bohan,

In an earlier post, you mentioned that you add milk to your coffee. If you use less milk, or learn to enjoy it black, you'll eliminate the small amount of cholesterol that you're worrying about.

Or just eat one less cookie a day, and you'll be fine.

Rose

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator: