Suggestions required for manual brewing equipments

Jho7727

Hello coffee lovers!

I am new member of this community and I do have a bit of experience in coffee brewing due to my part time job as a barista in Auckland, New Zealand. Hope to know you guys more!
:smile:

Now, to the main topic.

I have about 2 years of experience operating espresso machine at work and I have developed my passion and interest in coffee brewing ever since. So I would like to expand my knowledge in manual brewing.

I personally prefer to start with either V60 or Aeropress. However, there is a problem as I am still a student so my budget is quite limited from getting both along with a manual grinder. Also, I might not be able to purchase Hario kettle and scale along with the brewing device just yet. I will try to learn how to control flow of water more carefully using normal kettle, use my mate's scale, and timer on my phone for now.

I would like to hear from you guys of this great community! About opinions such as the reason of choosing one device instead of another one, result of drink, etc.

Thanks in advance! Cheers! :smile:

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
My opinion on the Hario kettle is it's not important. Are good drip coffee makers as precise as that? I can't believe they are. You can still fine tune other elements of brewing with a pour over cone and I doubt the difference in the bloom pour between a regular goose neck pot and the Hario is significant.

I chose the Bee House dripper because of the many reviews I read. I wanted a glass one but someone said it broke from the hot water and I like to rinse out my filter with boiling water. Someone also said that the water touches the plastic holder of the glass one. I almost bought the ceramic HIC dripper for half the price of the Bee House but there were more complaints about the HIC not fitting people's cups, plus it's made in China while the Bee House is made in Japan. Unfortunately, the Bee House doesn't fit my wide, 4-1/4" cup and I think I should have bought the HIC. I use glass cups so I don't even need the hole in the base of the Bee House to see the level of coffee. People say that hole makes the Bee House break too easily. I looked at the V60 and Aeropress too but I don't remember off hand why I rejected them.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
@Bohan... your Beehouse controls the flow by means of the little holes in the bottom. The V60 has one large hole, so to keep the flow rate reasonably slow to facilitate proper extraction, you need a slow and accurate pour.

@ the OP, there are no right/wrong choices between brew methods, and no way to tell you which to pursue, simply because it's a matter of personal preference.