Best Machine?

RogerASTM

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Im thinking about buying a serous coffee maker, one well worth the investment. Im debating between a Bunn VP17-1 or CWTF, a Wilbur Curtis ALPH, a Newco, or a Grindmaster. Im leaning toward Bunn since those appear to be the most famous, however, the other brands are not well know to me. Are any of these good makes? Any on I should avoid? Price isn't a concern, will do what ever it takes for that perfect cup.

Thanks!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
If you can be happy with a cup at a time and don't need a full pot, number one on my list would be the Bunn Trifecta.

There is a scaled down version with fewer features for the home user at $550, but if price is really no object and you can accommodate the height then the big-daddy version is the way to go, at only $2990.

They both make an incredible cup of coffee.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site

RogerASTM

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This is for home use. The commercial models have a hot water tank that produces a 200*F pour over, nothing that a standard resi model can do. Plus the Bunn has an adjustable stat where that can be tweaked need be ;). And of course one of these will last for decades, another thing that appeals to me. @peterjschmidt: Which model costs 2,990? Sounds like a twin with 6 burners or some exotic import lol. I found a single decanter heating Bunn on the web starting at $350 which is not at all bad. If I choose to go piped about $500. Unless Im missing something, which I am prone too.

RogerASTM

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If money truly was no object, I think I'd buy this machine just so I could play with it. I really like the idea. Designed by an MIT grad.

Being honest it doesn't appeal to me as much as others. For that price Im sure it will put out though.

Anyone know a good place to buy a Bunn?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
If you can be happy with a cup at a time and don't need a full pot, number one on my list would be the Bunn Trifecta.

There is a scaled down version with fewer features for the home user at $550, but if price is really no object and you can accommodate the height then the big-daddy version is the way to go, at only $2990.

They both make an incredible cup of coffee.

I take it you've had good luck with your Trifecta?

Most of the places that I know that have had them have already yanked them off the bar and have either sent them back to Bunn or sold them on Ebay. The plastic housing seems to be the number one complaint that it either cracks or loses its seal. Honestly I've never got the chance to work on one. I've had coffee from them several times.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Not much to look at the Wilbur Curtis offers the Gold Cup Brewer. Does 2 cups at the same time and can do 12,16 or 20 oz. Uses Mellita #4 filters. Can dial in the brew like the larger commercial brewers. I ordered one for my shop for the late last minute we are closed coffee order. They sell for around 1200.00 msrp but you might be able to get a deal. They do make a nice cup

RogerASTM

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Not much to look at the Wilbur Curtis offers the Gold Cup Brewer. Does 2 cups at the same time and can do 12,16 or 20 oz. Uses Mellita #4 filters. Can dial in the brew like the larger commercial brewers. I ordered one for my shop for the late last minute we are closed coffee order. They sell for around 1200.00 msrp but you might be able to get a deal. They do make a nice cup

I like. Do you know the model or web link?

Thanks!