how to clean an old Peugeot grinder?

Mzungu

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I just got my Peugeot grinder and I would like to know how to clean it inside since its not very clean.
any tips?

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Thank you very much!
Mzungu

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Mzungu,

It's hard to tell by the photos, but it looks like the inside of the grinder is rusty. Is that what I'm seeing, or is it just old stuck-on coffee?

There is a huge difference between the two.

Rose

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
It looks to be old coffee residue. Most likely never cleaned, so the coffee oils and residue collected and caked on over the years.
I do not believe it is rust.
I would start with these tools whether you take it all apart or not.
245.jpg
A lot of time and elbow grease. IMO I would start with the putty knife and take off as much of the heavy residue as possible.
Then the hand held steel brush and razor blade.The brush bit for the drill would be my last resort applying light pressure carefully.
I would also mix a little white vinegar with warm water solution, apply to cloth to clean. Then wipe it down with a a damp cloth
soaked with hot water. I have taken apart a lot of electric burr grinders and espresso grinders for deep cleaning. Not a fun
job, but as you can see necessary. when you are finished cleaning, put a little bit of white rice in to grind before coffee. Since it is not electric,
you might want to be cranking the handle while some one else can drop in a little rice at a time, so it does not clog. Does a nice job
for finishing up. Hope this helps a little.

Mzungu

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
thank you jumping! that was of a great help! does old coffee residue affects anyhow the taste of what I'm going to get from this old mill?