Anyone ever had an Astra espresso machine?

PonyEspresso

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone! I'm opening a coffee shop and I am currently looking at espresso machines. I want to buy new and I found one that seems like it would work but I wanted to see if anyone has an experience with them. Its an Astra M1S 016 Semi-automatic commercial machine. Just wanted to see what the pros and cons were of the company, their machines, or this specific machine. Thanks!

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Not a good machine.
In fact, a rather lousy machine.

It really depends on what you want as far as the quality of your product, but the grinder and espresso machine may be the most important equipment in your shop. No need to be on the cheap. You can probably find a used LM Linea, which is a workhorse of a machine for a decent price.

Find out what shops of the caliber you intend to be are using, and start with that.
Report back, that will give us a clear indication of your vision, and what more pertinent advice we can lend.

Last edited:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
La Marzocco's are over rated. What's worse so are Synesso. The Astra isn't the worst toy on the market by a long shot and if you like it by all means purchase it. I would suggest calling Astra and have them give you the number to a few of their local repair shops. Give them a call and see who all works on them and what experience they have.

The nice thing about an Astra is its boxy inside. Plenty of room to work on them. To many people have forgotten about the basics of espresso and have gone all techno babbled in the head and think that if you don't drop $25K on a machine you won't make good espresso. Go to an Italians home and you'll find a Moka pot on the stove. Yet these people insist that only a Synesso can make real espresso.

All in all if you like an Astra buy the Astra. Sorry John not trying to crap on your post, its just that I no longer have any love for overly high end machines and or companies who feel that since their product is superior they have the right to charge you superior price for replacement parts or the for the whole machine itself.

hardwire

Dec 13, 2006
Visit site
I'll tell you my experience on both:

LaMarzocco 4 group: It was an older 4 group semi-auto Strada, only 3 groups worked, not one brewed the same. Needed major work, but it got the job done for the boss.

Coolest thing was the LaMarzocco grinder: You had to insert the portafilter, it portioned, ground, and tamped for you. Was good for hi-volume. The 2 locations did about $15K/day

Astra 2 group: It was a new machine with the SUPER LONG steamwands. Mega-bonus for when you gotta make 4 lattes or more in the 64oz frothing pitcher. Nice was the manual control switches to turn on and turn off the pump, for every shot. Your coffee is constantly changing with humidity/temperature of the environment you are in and it was nice to have total control on the brew cycle for every shot. Brand new, never had a hiccup, beautiful.

Mazzer grinders: These were digitally adjustable for the dosage. These babies were Doserless, and doserless is the way, always fresh, every time, directly to the portafilter. No coffee should be ground and waiting for customers, if you truely want the best

Do your homework: Visit and try as many machines as possible at all the coffee shops you can, talk to the baristas. Let them know you're gonna open a cafe and you'd like an opportunity to try out the machine. Get feedback, especially from the experienced ones. Good luck.