What are your recommendations for a good coffee maker?

Jarl_Redbeard

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm looking to get a new coffee maker. The one I have at home is just a little cheap Mr. Coffee pot that never seems to make a pot of coffee that tastes any good. I use filtered water, and have tried different amounts of grinds for each cup, but haven't been able to find anything that works for me. I drink my coffee black 95% of the time, no cream or sugar. At work here, we have a decently sized Community Coffee machine (I live in Louisiana), which seems to make pots that are only slightly better than what I make at home. Basically...everything I drink seems too bitter. I've had the same brews of coffee at places like IHop and the like down here and their black coffee tastes great, which I'm guessing is probably attributed to their more expensive coffee machines. My question is...what is something decently priced that I can get for home use that will make a good cup?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Jarl,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

We have had a lot of discussions regarding coffee makers for home use. There are all sorts of machines and methods for making coffee.

Are you mainly interested in finding a drip coffee maker?

How much do you have in mind when you say that you're looking for something that's decently priced?

Another option would be a French Press. Have you explored that?

Rose

Jarl_Redbeard

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello Jarl,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

We have had a lot of discussions regarding coffee makers for home use. There are all sorts of machines and methods for making coffee.

Are you mainly interested in finding a drip coffee maker?

How much do you have in mind when you say that you're looking for something that's decently priced?

Another option would be a French Press. Have you explored that?

Rose

Yes ma'am, I'm mainly interested in a drip coffee maker...just something I can pour store bought pre-ground coffee in. I guess for decently priced I'd say something in the $150 range or lower. I haven't looked into a French Press but I'll definitely see what they're all about.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
30.00 for a french press and 300.00 for a Technivorm.

Press is a great low cost option, but I wouldn't waste time with pre-ground coffee in one as most you find will probably be too fine and leave you with lots of sediment. For an auto type drip machine I highly suggest the BUNN Phase Brew as I seriously doubt anything comes close in simplicity and cost. It competes with Technivorm/others for much less. It really shouldn't be classified as a drip machine as it's really more like an automatic pourover in operation. Brew temperature and flow rate are incredibly consistent due to the design. Can also be found in a thermal carafe version for a bit more $. Use mine to brew 2-3 batches of black tea daily. Have done so for over 1 year now without a single issue.

Bunn Phase Brew HG 8-Cup Coffee Brewer Review - Good Housekeeping

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Actually there is a unit that will grind and brew, just can't remember where I saw it. Not sure if it will do a single cup or small pot

hausfire28

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
well i found one but its about 900 dollars. don't mind paying a little more but not that much. I own a Keurig. honestly its not bad but, there is no way to clean out the reservoir and i can't get past that every time i have a cup.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have the Cuisinart grind and brew combo. it makes good coffee, but we stopped using the grinder long ago because it was always wet from brewing coffee.

After the coffee is brewed, the condensation collects in the grinder area, but after each use, when you toss out the coffee grounds and clean the brew basket, you're supposed to take the grinder section out of the machine and clean it too. I use a paper towel to wash and then rinse the parts, and then I set it all aside to air dry. It only takes a couple of minutes to do it. I'm happy with the coffee that my machine makes, and the cleaning is just a part of the process.

BenjiTRCM

Oct 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
My favorite manual coffee maker is probably the AeroPress. No other coffee I've had tastes anything like it. It's also incredibly easy to travel with, unlike a Chemex or Hario.

For auto drip purposes, I recommend the Brazen Plus. It's only a few months old, but it's SCAA certified and incredibly versatile. If you're looking for something simpler Bonavita just released the BV1900. I own the BV1800 which is great, but the BV1900 has a whole bunch of improvements including a pre-infusion time.

sailor44

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Red, I f you are new to, and living in, south Louisiana, you should know that you are probably drinking the very strong brew that they use down there.It will take the enamel off your teeth. So, the problem my not be the brewer at all!:coffee:

DorothyGonzalez

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Jarl,

I just recently bought my new coffee maker. It was a Cuisinart coffee maker that I purchase for only $95, very affordable yet the quality is awesome and it really gives me a perfect cup of coffee everyday. You should try Cuisinart it really works well.
:coffee: