Need Help Identifying A Broken Coffee Pot

coffeetotaler

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Long story short, I was at a party of a friend-of-a-friend's house last weekend and broke their coffee pot. When I apologized, the friend of the friend was very forgiving, said everything was okay. However, he also repeatedly mentioned that, "It was an expensive piece of glass," and, "His wife would be pissed." I think the most simple and easy solution is to buy them a replacement. I am not concerned with cost. The problem is that I am not much of a coffee drinker and have very few clues from which to work.

Here is what I do not know:
-The brand of the machine or what the base of the machine looks like. (I only saw the pot itself.)

Here is what I do know:
-The pot was made entirely of thick clear glass, and to me resembled a Kool-Aid pitcher (if you will pardon the low-brow reference.)
-There was white lettering on the bottom of the pot (which remained unbroken) that was difficult to discern. Perhaps it was from Germany or France? To me the text looked like "sluming."
-A Google search for "sluming" has turned up nothing.
-The fact that it was "expensive." This of course means different things to different people. In this case I am guessing $100-$200 or more?
-The friend of a friend referred to it as a "percolator-type-thing" (I do not think he is much of a coffee drinker either.)

Sorry I have so few details. Like I said it was a friend-of-a-friend so more details are going to be difficult to procure. Any and all help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
My suggestion is to send them a check for $200, or whatever amount you can swing. You have their address, yes?

Even if someone here can recognize the clue you've given for the brand, that brand may have produced dozens of brewers over the years. Finding out who made it, even if you can determine what it was, may be the easy part.

Chances are, the fella and his wife aren't as 'married' to that particular brewer as you may think, and might relish the idea of receiving a lump of cash and finding a brewer they'll like even more.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Long story short, I was at a party of a friend-of-a-friend's house last weekend and broke their coffee pot. When I apologized, the friend of the friend was very forgiving, said everything was okay. However, he also repeatedly mentioned that, "It was an expensive piece of glass," and, "His wife would be pissed." I think the most simple and easy solution is to buy them a replacement. I am not concerned with cost. The problem is that I am not much of a coffee drinker and have very few clues from which to work.

It would have been nice if you could have insisted on replacing the coffee pot right then and there and gotten the make and model number before you left the party.

Can you just ask your friend to give you his friend's phone number so you can call him and apologize again and tell him that you'd feel much better if you could buy a replacement carafe for his coffee maker????

If his wife answers the phone, you can express your sincere apologies to her instead. She may accept your offer to replace the carafe, or she may tell you that it's really okay and not to worry about it.

And, if you ever return to their house, you can always bring them a gift basket or something.

sidg

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Look for this to see if it looks familiar on Amazon: Bodum 3000-582USA Electric Santos 12-Cup Coffeemaker With Timer, Blue

I know they used to make this in all glass but there are now one's such as this that are cheaper to produce and a little more durable.

Sorry but it will be more than $200 if this is what you broke. A Chemex would be cheaper but this would fit the German maker and description.

Ask to double check but good for you in replacing it.

Last edited: