Cafe Quality Espresso Machine At Home

itsabean

Nov 23, 2014
South FL
Visit site
beardedblunder, as a fellow newbie to the espresso world, I have come to recognize that a top quality machine and a $300-$500 price range are incompatible parameters. That's because high quality home machines are more in the price range approaching and easily exceeding
$2,000! These are usually machines from Italy, the home of espresso. The higher price tag range must also include budget for a good burr grinder, which alone can cost $500 without much difficulty.
Having said that, I can add that your price range is certainly understandable, especially for us new-to-espresso folks. I recently purchased a semi-auto machine in your price range. Mine is a Breville "Barista Express," model BES870XL. It's got a burr grinder built in, so the need for that added expense is eliminated. Learning about beans and how to use the machine for maximum good shots is a learning experience. no matter which machine one has on hand.
I hope this is of some help.

itsabean

Nov 23, 2014
South FL
Visit site
beardedblunder--Here's a P.S. about the purchase of a grinder. Take a look at the "Coffee Grinder Recommendations" thread where I noticed experienced members suggesting grinders in the $100--$200 price range as being good ones.

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Not even close to Cafe quality, but I found on WholeLatteLove a refurbished Gaggia Baby Twin for $199, which is reasonably high quality, and will leave you enough money for a grinder. The advantage of the Baby Twin is that it has a thermoblock for the steam which is completely separate from the boiler, so you can pull the shot while you steam the milk. I used to have the Gaggia Evo, and while I'm much happier with my current machine (Ascaso Steel Uno) the price is out of your budget...

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the double post, but I just saw on WLL that they have a clearance sale on Gaggia machines, and a new Baby Twin is 399 instead of 599, so might be worth buying it new.

Latest posts