Bonavita vs. Hario for pour-over brewing?

Wanting a pour-over system to play with, I was looking at the Hario V60 Buono 1.2L drip kettle to use with a Chemex brewer. After stumbling upon the Bonavita Variable Temp goose neck kettle, it seems that would kill two birds with one stone. Liking the idea of the digital temperature control, is there any reason I should not opt for the Bonavita? I am mainly wondering about how the Bonavita handles and pours, but interested in other comments as well.

Good choice. Had the benefit of the Bonavita on a traveling road show. I would stay away from the Hario. Overpriced as the first entry into the market. This is what I use: BELAKANE Pour Over Kettle 1.6L Polished | Tiamo Europe, Tiamo 1.6L. Enjoy the tip and the capacity. If you just want a 1.0L, Stainless Steel Modern Vintage Pour Over Coffee Kettle Tea Pot | eBay. I also have a couple of new Tiamo kettles for sale but it would be best that I list over in the correct forum.

B|Java

I like my Bonavita Variable.

Quote Originally Posted by thCapn View Post
    I like my Bonavita Variable.
    Realized I was straining at a gnat and ordered the Bonavita. If it works as expected, I will enjoy it. If not, it was still a worthwhile gamble.

We have two of the Bona Vida Variable temp kettles. One of them is consistently off by +4 degrees. Not a problem, really. We just made a note on the base. Overall, they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeemannw View Post
    We have two of the Bona Vida Variable temp kettles. One of them is consistently off by +4 degrees. Not a problem, really. We just made a note on the base. Overall, they work great.
    Thanks for mentioning the temperature discrepancy, I will check mine. It arrived yesterday and I got it ready to go, but have not yet done a test run actually making coffee.

My only first impression, in the course of heating the maximum water quantity to boiling and rinsing it out several times, as recommended, is that it pours faster than I expected. I do not think that will be a problem, just an observation for anyone else considering the Bonavita gooseneck kettle.

If it flows faster than you'd like then you can get a flow restrictor for it. Regarding temperature, most things with temp control don't match up to their displays and each other. I'm a home brewer and rely on a few different thermometers and thermocouples to make beer. I just chose one of them as my standard, adjusted the others to that, and added notes to adjust mentally for the ones that don't allow adjustment.

One of these days I'll send my "master" thermometer out for factory calibration. In the meantime, I'm happy with the results I'm getting, so I'm not worrying about it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links