Portable coffee grinder recommendations

StarCoffee

Nov 30, 2014
New York
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a brand new manual coffee grinder that's portable, ultra-sleek and efficient. Was thinking of getting the Zassenhaus Coffee Panama, but I wanted to hear from you guys before actually buying anything.

Are there any good recommendations out there that I can take a look? Much appreciated!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I like manual grinding and that Zassenhaus offering is probably well worth the price. In the past I wouldn't have bought a Zassenhaus unless it was the cylindrical "Turkish" style because not only do they have the proper burr set, but also a stepless adjustment which gives the spinning burr good stability from coarse to fine. Some box style Zassenhaus mills in recent years had some cheesy bottom ends that didn't work very well.

FWIW by Turkish style I mean this....

Zassenhaus 175M Turkish Coffee Grinder | Espresso Zone

Cylindrical in shape, but with a proper tool steel conical burr set. True Turkish mills have very different grinding mechanisms and pretty much pulverize the coffee into dust.

Refer to my post in this thread for a few pics/description on the subject...

http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/c...es/3655-best-hand-cranked-burr-grinder-2.html

Last edited:

StarCoffee

Nov 30, 2014
New York
Visit site
I've actually looked at the Zassenhaus 175M grinder before, it's a nice gold-plated brass portable grinder with a good burr design.

But I'm actually looking for something "sleek" and modern looking - something like the Panama. The turkish grinder looks quite old-fashioned haha

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
If you wait a few months, you will be able to purchase the Rok hand operated coffee grinder. Rok currently makes a hand operated espresso machine that produced amazing results. The craftsmansip and material quality are superb in their espresso machine. If the same rings true for the grinder, you will be impressed!