Mazzer Super Jolly a good filter coffee grinder?

thCapn

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm shopping for a used grinder (who isn't?) and SJ's come up now and then. I need a grinder for filter coffee. Is the SJ appropriate or is it better for espresso?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
If the burrs are good, they're good for any brew method. But I'd question why spend that kind of money if you're not going to use it for espresso. It would last forever, but it's a big honkin' machine in your kitchen and would be overkill for filter coffee. Plus, I don't think I'd want to bother with a doser either.

How much are you seeing them for? If the price is really that good, it probably won't look very pretty anymore.

thCapn

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It's for a new shop, so accommodating it on the kitchen counter isn't an issue. The asking price for one I saw a few days ago was $425.

is the doser removable? Simply put, I'm shopping for a good used grinder for drip and pour over. Recommendations are always appreciated.

thanks.

Last edited:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Since you are looking for a used grinder for a commercial setup for drip and pourover, I would recommend Bunn or Grindmaster. The Mazzer as stated already is truly a espresso grinder. These would fit your price range. But you may have to change the burrs in a used machine. These machines will have the power 1/2 hp. motors. The Mahlkonig and Ditting are awesome grinders, But even used they hold their value, upwards to $1000+.