Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    La Marzocco Espresso machine

    I'm starting my own coffee shop and still researching equipment - found this machine is used by starbucks - any other ideas suggestions?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    45

    Re: La Marzocco Espresso machine

    Quote Originally Posted by barb
    I'm starting my own coffee shop and still researching equipment - found this machine is used by starbucks - any other ideas suggestions?
    You just found the lifeblood & soul of your business....now move onto the 3,000 other things you need to do and worry about....

    your La Marzocco will take care of you and your customers for a long time to come.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    Ideas & suggestions

    tks, I can't read minds - what are the other 3,000 things?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    45

    Re: Ideas & suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by barb
    tks, I can't read minds - what are the other 3,000 things?
    OK, 3000 things might be an exageration, but when you open a shop (any business) there is always 10 times the work you plan on, and it always cost me twice as much as I planned.



    coffee, roasters, syrups, equipment, leases, contractors, paper supples, advertising, signage, licenses, etc. etc..


    each of these has 5 - 200 options/decisions you need to decide on.

    the list is endless...just make yourself a good plan, and do lots of research.

    bottom line- the La Marzocco is a great choice, and really helps eliminate a lot of variables in making great coffee.

    If I could suggest you looking into the same grinder we are using....it is awesome. (not well known....but awesome)

    http://www.espresso.com/capriccio.html



    good luck!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    576
    Everydaygourmet makes an extremely important point: we find that all many new shop owners place all of their focus on the espresso equipment, and overlook many of the most basic important aspects of starting and running their new coffee business: 1) the coffee and 2) the business.

    The challenges in running a coffee shop are the same as running any other retail business: selecting a good location, dealing with landlords, contractors and red tape, developing solid operational procedures, selecting good employees and managing them effectively, marketing that business, dealing with competition... and the list can go on and on.

    The specialty coffee business faces one added challenge, in that the far majority of people who start a coffee shop have never even tasted good coffee. Although helpful for ideas in shop design and location selection, the danger in using Star$ as a model is that many shop owners do not realize how awful a product they serve. This would be like trying to start a gourmet restaurant without ever having tasted food other than McDonald's.

    Save the equipment selection for later. If you really want to help your new business now, buy a plane ticket to Italy and hop from cafe to cafe to see what the USA is really missing in product quality. You'll see a number of different machine names, and all of them will serve great coffee.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by cafemakers
    Everydaygourmet makes an extremely important point: we find that all many new shop owners place all of their focus on the espresso equipment, and overlook many of the most basic important aspects of starting and running their new coffee business: 1) the coffee and 2) the business.

    The challenges in running a coffee shop are the same as running any other retail business: selecting a good location, dealing with landlords, contractors and red tape, developing solid operational procedures, selecting good employees and managing them effectively, marketing that business, dealing with competition... and the list can go on and on.

    The specialty coffee business faces one added challenge, in that the far majority of people who start a coffee shop have never even tasted good coffee. Although helpful for ideas in shop design and location selection, the danger in using Star$ as a model is that many shop owners do not realize how awful a product they serve. This would be like trying to start a gourmet restaurant without ever having tasted food other than McDonald's.

    Save the equipment selection for later. If you really want to help your new business now, buy a plane ticket to Italy and hop from cafe to cafe to see what the USA is really missing in product quality. You'll see a number of different machine names, and all of them will serve great coffee.
    Great McDonald's analogy - well said on all points Cafemakers!



    Barb,

    The one of the other things I would do, is utilize a consultant for more than a few hours of consultation. I believe cafemakers offers this service, and they are not pushy about it in the forums - they have my respect just for that reason alone.

    If you ahve never opened and/or operated a business (I have done both several times....and it is still a somewhat overwhelming process) then I would most definately budget for some professional advice from a consultant.

    You'll get an idea pretty quick of the 3,000 other decisions besides your espresso machine that I mentioned earlier.


    Again, Good Luck


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    Great Startup!

    Tks, I started with the "equipment" just to plan a part of finances for the 1st year and figure good equipment is one less problem to deal with in the 1st year - have the location and considered the "challenge" issues of running a business - but for sure have not researched much of "different kinds of coffee" which is very important and I'm open to suggestions in the US - can't travel at this point and I reside in Illinois - I appreciate your comments and suggestions! The business plan is set with a clear understanding of "will be overwhelm - overworked - long days, weeks -months - underpaid - but hey, I'm doing for myself this time! and that puts the smile on my face.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    Re: La Marzocco Espresso machine

    Quote Originally Posted by barb
    I'm starting my own coffee shop and still researching equipment - found this machine is used by starbucks - any other ideas suggestions?
    Be carefull of the LaMarzocco's on ebay that come from starbucks.(tagex) They are mostly crap, and require thousands more dumped into them before being a good LaMarzocco!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    1,552
    I have bought from Tagex too, 2 Fetco's. 1 CBS 52H and 61H. They both required about $250 worth of parts and the 61 looks almost like it was dropped. The pictures he posted showed it in perfect condition. But then again I believe he reuses his old pictures.

    The last brewer they shipped me took almost a month to get. They came up with some of the stupidest excuses why it was never shipped. They told me it was shipped one day and a week later they said it hadn't shipped yet.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    27
    Although Cafemakers has a point to mention Italy for culture value...just because they use a certain machine in Italy does NOT mean it makes good coffee....you need to do ALOT of research into the machine. It is one of the Four Ms in italian espresso. If you want to be gourmet....serve the best...not just good enough. If you don't research your equipment you will never know which one you are serving.
    Check out alt.coffee on the google search engine...and search for machines by name etc...lots of good discussions and details.
    Also go to SCAAs forums under the Retailer forum and the Barista Guild forums...these are people who study there machines anf are glad to discuss beyond the basics.
    -Chris Deferio

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. La Marzocco GS-1 Vintage Espresso Machine
    By garrstim in forum Business to Business B2B
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
  2. Hissing from groupheads on Marzocco machine
    By little roastHer in forum Coffee and Espresso Machines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
  3. [WTS] Epresso Machine Gaggia And La Marzocco
    By CoCoBo in forum Coffee Industry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
  4. 1 3group La Marzocco or 2 1group Elektra Sixties T1 Machine?
    By wildzx in forum Coffee and Espresso Machines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 03:01 PM
  5. La Marzocco Linea 4AV 4 group Automatic Espresso Machine
    By surplusbid in forum Business to Business B2B
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 04:41 PM

Search tags for this page

are 4 group lamarzocco linea used by starbucks any good
,
espresso machine la marzocco for sale used
,
espresso machine used in mcdonalds in italy
,

la marzocco espresso machine used

,
la marzocco used at mcdonalds
,
la marzocco used espresso machine
,
suggestions which model la marzocco
,

used la marzocco espresso machine

,
used la marzocco espresso machines
,
used la marzocco espresso machines for sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.