Gaggia filter basket size?

A.Nunez

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I bought my 1st espresso machine recently which is a Gaggia Baby Twin. I'm new to espresso brewing. I've been watching multiple videos to learn the basics. I think I have I t down for the most part. I had a question about the Gaggia double basket. Everywhere I read says the Gaggia basket should hold 14-16g of coffee? I've seen a lot of videos where the barista fills the basket and levels off the grounds then tamps without measuring. One video measured and explained the basket should range from 16-18g of coffee. So any thoughts about average amount of grams per double shot basket or Gaggia basket to be specific?

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
Most websites quote around 7g of coffee per shot if making Italian style espresso. This would usually be a blend of beans.
Modern "Barista" style coffee bars here in the UK are often using a lot more than 7g, sometimes double per shot of espresso and they are often using single variety Arabica beans. Not my idea of a good espresso but each to their own...
Domestic Gaggia machines use the same filters as the commercial Gaggia machines so it should be easy for you to source other sizes.

Latest posts