Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II volumetric vs. digital

espressimon

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am currently looking into two different models within Nuova Simonelli - Aurelia II volumetric and Aurelia II digital.
I understand that both machines are very similar and the only difference I notice is the digital display on the digital model.
But it seems like a big price difference just for the display. Would you guys please enlighten me on the major differences between the two models?
Is it possible to adjust temperature and pressure on the volumetric version just as in the digital version?
Thanks for your help.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I answered your other post but I'll chime in here. Honestly integrating a screen and tying in PID control isn't worth the thousands it adds to your invoice. Remember the old adage KISS. Keep it simple stupid. Buying high doesn't mean you're buying better. All this high end junk has come about because a people have been modifying their equipment over the past 20 years. So the manufactures have answered that call by selling you even more sophisticated equipment that costs thousands more than it should. Keeping it simple will reduce your overhead by cutting down on how expensive it is to repair your machine when the toys start to break.

I can't help but to laugh at how many LED lights I've gone out and fixed on this stuff. The sad fact is 2 LED lights and the driver that runs them go for about $30 if you source them from an electronics catalog. However the replacement lights from most of your major espresso manufactures run about $50 a light and almost a $120 for the driver. Isn't technology grand! Now if you really want to have an early heart attack, just imagine how much it costs to replace that dead touchscreen.

Or you can buy the no frills machine and make just as good of a shot and possibly take a vacation a year or two down the road after you get opened.

espressimon

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much CCafe for your clear response. I totally agree with you in that it is best to keep things simple especially since I am a novice in the industry!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I agree with CCafe on this as simple/reliable is best. Gets old going into some higher end coffeeshops and watching the "badass" barista trying to wow people with the mega bucks machine/grinder that practically runs itself. Personally I NEVER used the volumetric dosing on the Aurelia I had and controlled every single shot prepared by hand/eye. Same with steaming milk. I have watched so many people open the steam wand, walk away a bit and come back to ruined milk (taste and texture). Again, I steamed every single pitcher of milk and never let the machine do the work for me automatically. Believe me, it makes a huge difference in the cup and you will quickly develop a much better understanding of how the process should go and of the equipment itself.