Need Advice: Avanti Minibar Espresso Machine

Havita

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I was given an old Avanti Minibar espresso machine from someone who discovered it cleaning out a daughter's storage. It looks to have been used a maximum of a few times. Being a COMPLETE novice and finding little about this antiquated machine, I decided to turn it on and run some water through it to start. It soon started steaming out of the group head and had an odd 'hot' smell like burning plastic. I got nervous something electrical was being affected and turned it off. Is this normal after a long storage? Should I venture further or is injury imminent?? I don't know if it's worth the price of getting it serviced, but it seems to be a quality build. Really heavy for such a small unit and a nicely weighted portafilter as well. ANY advice welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeLoeven

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
If as you said it looks like it was never used, the burning plastic smell could simply be left over new appliance smell as new devices frequently have left over chemicals on their plastic pieces left over from the manufacturing process that will release aromatic compounds when heated try filling the tank and adding a tablespoon of white vinegar to the water and letting it run through than flush the device 2-3 times with fresh water to see if that removes the smell

Last edited: