Mobile Coffe truck - Blank slate, looking for advice...

CartersCoffee

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello from San Diego!

After years of working for other people, I have finally decided to take a chance and purchased a box-truck that I intend to convert into a mobile coffee truck :)

I was hoping to get some advice on how this kind of setup works in practice...
I would like to use some solar panels for lighting and music, but realize that for things like the espresso machine (is 2 group big enough?), grinder, coffee brewer,fridge/freezer, AC etc I will need (a) generator(s)... Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much power and what type of generator is appropriate for this kind of business? Also how long does it take for an espresso machine to get up to pressure? Can you drive the truck while the generator is running?
Any advice on size of water tanks, whether you need a 3-sink system for a coffee truck or just a hand sink? And where is a good place to shop for these appliances? I have been told that there are shops for truckers since they have cabs that need AC, fridges etc, and are supposed to be cheaper than RV stores...

Any feedback/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Why would you buy a truck before you even have a business plan? Must have stolen the truck for next to nothing, right? Anyway, congratulations on taking the leap into entrepreneurship. My advice would be to make your next stop the San Diego Health Dept. to find out what you're up against before you set out to equip a truck in a way that doesn't conform to their requirements. Good luck.

CartersCoffee

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure yet that San Diego is where I'll be setting up shop, although I have researched the permitting requirements here... Most of the legislation though, is geared to 'food trucks' that are set up for the preparation of food, so my question in regards to the hand sink (rather than the 3-sink system that is required for food trucks) was based on other mobile espresso businesses I have seen using a fairly basic set up and aimed at other people that have personal experience in these matters, but thanks for your reply and well wishes! ^^

sidg

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Set the truck up to meet all the requirements for a food vendor even if you "don't have to" to sell coffee. Because at some point you will have the opportunity to serve in a location that is going to have stricter rules and require a 3 bay sink, etc. even though you are low risk. It isn't that much more to do it right when you are building it out and you will regret the lost sales when the health department or hosting group says sorry you can't sell here.
I have a 30 gal. fresh water tank and a 40 gal. gray tank and I've never run out of water at an event. (I've had to fill up to clean up but never had to close down early even with $600+ sales). Get the biggest generator that you can fit into/on your truck. You will find a need for more power and will have to choose between what to run and what to switch off so that you can keep going. I have a 12K generator and it meets my needs until winter when I want to run a heater to keep my toes from freezing. (You shouldn't have that problem in San Diego I'm assuming) A good quality two group machine should be sufficent as you probably won't have enough space in the truck to really utilize the 3 group and the people who could maximize it in getting out your drinks. The heat up time is going to be different depending upon the machine so you will know that once you pick out the machine you are going to use. As far as driving with the generator running that two will depend upon the design of the truck and the generator being used. I build mine out with that in mind so that I'm able to switch things on and everything is hot and I'm ready to go when I get to my location.
Good luck with the planning and I hope this helps.
Sid

CartersCoffee

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Set the truck up to meet all the requirements for a food vendor even if you "don't have to" to sell coffee. Because at some point you will have the opportunity to serve in a location that is going to have stricter rules and require a 3 bay sink, etc. even though you are low risk. It isn't that much more to do it right when you are building it out and you will regret the lost sales when the health department or hosting group says sorry you can't sell here.
I have a 30 gal. fresh water tank and a 40 gal. gray tank and I've never run out of water at an event. (I've had to fill up to clean up but never had to close down early even with $600+ sales). Get the biggest generator that you can fit into/on your truck. You will find a need for more power and will have to choose between what to run and what to switch off so that you can keep going. I have a 12K generator and it meets my needs until winter when I want to run a heater to keep my toes from freezing. (You shouldn't have that problem in San Diego I'm assuming) A good quality two group machine should be sufficent as you probably won't have enough space in the truck to really utilize the 3 group and the people who could maximize it in getting out your drinks. The heat up time is going to be different depending upon the machine so you will know that once you pick out the machine you are going to use. As far as driving with the generator running that two will depend upon the design of the truck and the generator being used. I build mine out with that in mind so that I'm able to switch things on and everything is hot and I'm ready to go when I get to my location.
Good luck with the planning and I hope this helps.
Sid

That's great advice, thanks Sid, much appreciated! :D

TheGreenJoe

Nov 8, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
Hello Carters!
My name is Vincent. I own Green Joe Coffee Truck (greenjoecoffeetruck.com). I'll try to get you as much info as possible.

I use a 8000w generator to feed my truck:
4400w for 2 group Astoria
500w for fridge
1000w for blender
500w for grinder
500 w for pourover coffee
5w for my speakers to jam :)
I would encourage to over purchase you wattage, just because I underestimated mine...

Takes 10 minutes to generate pressure (I turn on my generator while en route and that baby is hot when I arrive)

My city code requires 3 sink and hand washing sink...found mine on ebay...

I'm posting videos and tutorials on my youtube and website as I go. I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.