Can't have a coffee pot!!

ksigtad

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I just signed up to this forum so I apologize if this has been answered already.

I am a teacher and have always had a single cup coffee maker in my classroom. This year I was informed that I can no longer keep that in my room. (I think that it's considered a fire hazard even though the ancient one that stays hot all day in the break room isn't a fire hazard.)

Anyway, I'm looking for an easy way to make single cups of coffee. Instant coffee is way too weak but I was thinking about using something similar to a tea infuser. I buy the preground grocery store coffee and would like to continue that due to it's low cost.

Any suggestions?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Do you plan to try to make your coffee in the classroom? Do you have access to hot water there?

When I was working at a local college, some of the instructors brought in their coffee and their own French Presses and made their coffee using the hot water from hot spigot on the water cooler dispenser. They said the water was hot enough to brew the coffee. But, the problem with that was the cleanup. French presses and coffee grounds can be pretty messy.

Some of the other people brought in the prefilled coffee bags (I think Folgers makes them) and made their coffee using the hot water. It's supposedly better than making instant coffee.

You can try a tea infuser in hot water and see what happens. Maybe you should practice with it at home so you'll know if it works well enough for you.

Rose

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Another way is to bring a thermos from home full of hot water and use the French Press that PinkRose is talking about. I've seen a few schools who even frown on a French Press as they try to sight safety concerns if you drop it, but I feel that's just trying to take it a step too far.

The other way I would suggest is an Aeropress - http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

You can make some decent coffee with one and the fact it's made out of plastic should stop those who want to chuck it into the wind as well.

ksigtad

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I am looking to make it while inside my classroom. I don't have access to hot water but I have a microwave. I'll look into the French press as well as a tea infuser with a fine screen on it. I hate that I can't use the coffee pot I already have over something so stupid.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I am looking to make it while inside my classroom. I don't have access to hot water but I have a microwave. I'll look into the French press as well as a tea infuser with a fine screen on it. I hate that I can't use the coffee pot I already have over something so stupid.

Do you have access to a sink for cleanup?

The Aeropress or the French Press would work in your situation.

Or, you could get a pour over brewer, and heat the water in the microwave, and make the coffee right in your mug. Clean up should be easy.

Amazon.com: Nee Porcelain Coffee Dripper and Melitta Cone Coffee Filters (#2 White 100 Count) Combo Set: Kitchen & Dining

ksigtad

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info PinkRose. The coffee dripper looks like the easiest way to go about it but I think an Aeropress will make a better cup and have more flexibility.

CCafe, asking a school to spend more money on something that doesn't go straight to students almost never works out. Coffee is more of a "coffee club" kinda deal and most of those women don't care how it's brewed. Plus I would still have the problem of getting away from the classroom to get a cup. Can't leave kids unwatched for even a min.

Nikolay

Sep 12, 2015
UK
Visit site
You can try handpresso if you are after an espresso type coffee. Although a bit fiddly to make it does produce a more acceptable coffee than machines in most offices