What is the best "redneck" way to roast coffee

Wesley

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I am curious as to what would be the best way to roast some green coffee beans ("redneck style") I just ordered, they are from Sweet Maria's. They are grown in Laos Paksong Hills and Sulawesi Bone-Bone Village. Some ways to roast them that I have considered are with a heat-gun, over a fire, and with a popcorn popper. Any recommendations?

I hope this is the right section to post this.
[h=3][/h]

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I am curious as to what would be the best way to roast some green coffee beans ("redneck style") I just ordered, they are from Sweet Maria's. They are grown in Laos Paksong Hills and Sulawesi Bone-Bone Village. Some ways to roast them that I have considered are with a heat-gun, over a fire, and with a popcorn popper. Any recommendations?

I hope this is the right section to post this.

well... yes, this is "right section" to post.
you can use all three methods to roast and the final quality will come out about 6 out of 10 (10 being the perfect).

I have used Popper & over a fire, but never heat gun.
however, I am sure that there are a lot of members with better answers for you.
also, if you are serious about roasting at home, you might consider investing some money into home roasting machine.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
What would be a good home roasting machine?

that would be depends on your budget.
however, there have been a lot of discussion about home roasting machine. so you can look for related postings here in the forum.
there is a search on the upper right corner.
you can put home roasting machine and it will give you several postings on the subject.
good luck to you.

ScooterDog

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
The most redneck style, in my opinion, would be the "heat gun/dog bowl" method. I have never tried it, but I do roast with heat gun and a modified bread machine.

After some practice you should be able to get 8/10 to 9/10 coffee pretty consistently. I even stumble onto a 10/10 every now and again.

I'd suggest that you don't spend too much $$ until you figure out if you are going to stick with it.

Dan

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
The most redneck style, in my opinion, would be the "heat gun/dog bowl" method. Dan

Guess you could not get more "redneck" than that. Would recommend stainless steel bowl and wooden spoon to agitate the beans.
Unless of course you get "extreme redneck" and agitate the beans with a cordless drill and steel paint stirrer.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Why look for a "redneck" method of roasting?

Since you've already ordered the green coffee beans, so I'm guessing you already have a plan regarding how to roast them.

I'm pretty sure the Sweet Maria's website has instructions on how to roast coffee with a popcorn popper.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I watched a friend take a Bic lighter to roast some green beans in a stainless steel measuring cup. Took forever and a day but he did accomplish it.

For grins at the office where I work we threw some coffee beans we thought were rather light in the microwave on high for a about 10 minutes. It burned a few beans but it darkened the gist of them to make a better cup! I wouldn't suggest the microwave but it was a fun experiment!

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Take full Schlitz Malt Liquor can (yes, it has to be SML in order to truly be red neck). Punch a half dozen holes with a 16 penny nail in the bottom of the can and let the beer drain into a frosted glass. Drink the beer as you continue. Punch a 6 penny size hole into the unopened tab on the top of the can, and another adjacent to that on the can top. Pop the tab and fill the can half full with green beans. String bailing wire through the hole in the tab and through the adjacent hole in the top of the can, and tie shut. Place the can securely on the engine block of your warmed up John Deere tractor (Massey Ferguson or International Harvester will do in a pinch), and continue with your chores, stopping occasionally to turn the can. Alternatively, you can string bailing wire through two of the holes in the bottom of the can, and fashion a long handle with which to turn the can without interrupting your chores. This is especially helpful during harvest season. Should take about 20 minutes to complete the roast, but you will have to experiment with time for a particular tractor until you nail it down...not literally nail it down, just sayin'.

Clip the bailing wire holding the tab closed, and now pop the top again and empty beans into a clean (optional) gym sock. Tie off one end of the gym sock, and toss & catch until cool. If you plan to use the coffee immediately, take a Stanley 10 ounce dead blow hammer, and hammer the crap out of the beans. Empty sock into brew basket of a blue enamel camping percolator, and brew over a Kingsford charcoal fire.

The end. Amen.

Wesley

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
So, does a popcorn popper work well to roast coffee? Like on a scale of 1 to 10 how good of a roast could it do?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Take full Schlitz Malt Liquor can (yes, it has to be SML in order to truly be red neck). Punch a half dozen holes with a 16 penny nail in the bottom of the can and let the beer drain into a frosted glass. Drink the beer as you continue. Punch a 6 penny size hole into the unopened tab on the top of the can, and another adjacent to that on the can top. Pop the tab and fill the can half full with green beans. String bailing wire through the hole in the tab and through the adjacent hole in the top of the can, and tie shut. Place the can securely on the engine block of your warmed up John Deere tractor (Massey Ferguson or International Harvester will do in a pinch), and continue with your chores, stopping occasionally to turn the can. Alternatively, you can string bailing wire through two of the holes in the bottom of the can, and fashion a long handle with which to turn the can without interrupting your chores. This is especially helpful during harvest season. Should take about 20 minutes to complete the roast, but you will have to experiment with time for a particular tractor until you nail it down...not literally nail it down, just sayin'.

Clip the bailing wire holding the tab closed, and now pop the top again and empty beans into a clean (optional) gym sock. Tie off one end of the gym sock, and toss & catch until cool. If you plan to use the coffee immediately, take a Stanley 10 ounce dead blow hammer, and hammer the crap out of the beans. Empty sock into brew basket of a blue enamel camping percolator, and brew over a Kingsford charcoal fire.

The end. Amen.

Wow! You put a lot of thought into that response. I'm impressed!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So, does a popcorn popper work well to roast coffee? Like on a scale of 1 to 10 how good of a roast could it do?

I once used a hot air popcorn popper to roast coffee. Coffee wasn't too bad, but I never roasted with it long enough to get good with consistent results. I'd give the hot air popper a 6.

ScooterDog

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Oh, and are there any plans or instructions on how to make your own roaster? I'm a DIY kind of guy.

Search for information on "SC/TO coffee roasters" or "HG/BM coffee Roaster."

peterjschmidt's google site helped me a lot building my first roaster.

https:// sites.google.com/site/peter4jc/

Sorry - can't post links yet

Daniel