Commercial coffee maker for roadhshows

kapiguy

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

I am just getting into the coffee roasting business and setting up my roast shop. To get the word around I wanted to brew some and take it to local events etc. What medium scale coffee maker do you all recommend where I can brew and take coffee to these events for people to sample?

I was mainly debating between the Curtis and Bunn airpots but welcome to get other recommendations. The other option I was considering are the Satellite brewers like the Curtis GEM-120A. I am not sure how portable those Satellites are and how good they are at keeping the coffee hot for a long time. Any input and recommendations will be well appreciated.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I'm actually going through the same process right now... my two requirements were: 110V and Non-plumbed. The only products I could find from the big 3 (Fetco/Bunn/Curtis) is the Bunn VPR APS...

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
When you say "brew some and take it to local events...", you don't really mean you are intending to serve coffee in the afternoon, that was brewed in the morning, right? You are likely going to want/need a set up that allow you to, at minumum, heat water so you can do pourovers. A combination of being able to brew coffee at the events, and do pourovers, would be ideal....in my opinion.

kapiguy

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
When you say "brew some and take it to local events...", you don't really mean you are intending to serve coffee in the afternoon, that was brewed in the morning, right? You are likely going to want/need a set up that allow you to, at minumum, heat water so you can do pourovers. A combination of being able to brew coffee at the events, and do pourovers, would be ideal....in my opinion.

Right, I was planning on showing it at some local farmers market where I could brew and take it right away and hopefully it stays warm for 2-3 hours. For longer events I would need the ability to brew some at the location. Which is why I was looking for a maker with a water tank vs plumbed versions. Not sure how long it stays warm in the Airpots and satellites. Pourovers are a good idea too though it takes around 3 minutes to do one which might be too long for these kind of events?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think you may be missing the point. I assume you are looking to acquire coffee drinkers who love your coffee...which you, naturally, are painstakingly sourcing and roasting and brewing...in order establsh a customer base. How long coffee stays warm is a very different question than how long it stays fresh.

kapiguy

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Good point Mr Peaberry. I guess I am trying to find a good medium to showcase it effectively. Any suggestions are welcome.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Keep this in mind...you, hopefully...are trying to differentiate yourself from you know who. Hint: starts with an "S" and ends with a "tarbucks". They throw out coffee that's sat for longer than 30 minutes.

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
i agree with peaberry - you definitely want to be as fresh as possible. In an ideal world we would all do a full pourover set up for all our customers. I have recently been doing a lot of coffee demos / sampling events in stores like wholefoods and earthfare. Unfortunately they aren't letting me brew at their location. I brew 2 airpots, throw them in my car, run to the store, and give out samples to sell my coffee till they run out. Usually 2-2.5 hours. Sure, its not ideal. However I really feel that most of the people in a store like that aren't being very critical and would buy whatever brand they get a free sample from. At least 50% just want a free 3oz cup of coffee.... Some people buy without trying just because I'm standing there and it's local. I'm going to a roasters convention this weekend and will bring the brewer, airpots, water heater, and full pourover bar - but I think for quick demos to promote the brand (in a non-coffee nerd environment) , I'll stick to the airpots.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
...Sure, its not ideal. However I really feel that most of the people in a store like that aren't being very critical and would buy whatever brand they get a free sample from. At least 50% just want a free 3oz cup of coffee.... Some people buy without trying just because I'm standing there and it's local. I'm going to a roasters convention this weekend and will bring the brewer, airpots, water heater, and full pourover bar - but I think for quick demos to promote the brand (in a non-coffee nerd environment) , I'll stick to the airpots.

I am quick to assume that anyone on a specialty coffee forum is interested in promoting the cause of specialty coffee, not just selling the commodity "COFFEE". If you want to appeal to the lowest common denominator...the person that just needs a warmish brown liquid that sorta tastes like some of the coffee he/she's ever had in their life...then there is no reason at all to do pour overs, brew fresh/serve fresh, or anything at all that would appeal to the coffee geek. So if you are wanting to raise the bar just a bit, and enter the realm of better than most coffee, you can probably get away with airpot coffee thats been brewed hours earlier. I still maintain that if you are interested in building a brand around exceptional coffee, there is no other road to travel than the one where uncompromising standards are used whenever/wherever the coffee is served. The one thing you cannot control is what your customer does to your whole bean coffee after they get it home. You can plead and offer all the best practice knowledge you have, but in the end you just have to let your "children" go. Personally, I would look for customers and give them an experience that they would then start looking for me. Then I would tweet about where my upcoming events are being held, and advertise them on a FB page. Over time, you will establish a following. It won't happen quickly, but it will happen if you choose the right path. If you never establish a following, then your lot will be to continue to look for venues where you can find lots of warmish brown-beverage consumers...just sayin'.

Last edited: