Bonavita BV1500TD

Castello

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I am interested in purchasing the Bonavita 1500TD. In the mornings I drink exactly 16oz's or 1/2 liter of coffee everyday. The 1500TD with the digital timer function would be the ideal machine for me, in theory.

New 5-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer | Bonavita World

Just a couple of questions are on my mind about it.

Why is it not certified by the SCAA? The 1800 and 1900 models are, but why isn't the 1500TS or the 1500TD?
Specialty Coffee Association of America

My biggest concern is deriving from the CNET article. The author of the CNET article seems to think that the 1500 brewer is ultimately too bitter, and does not sit in the same class as the 1800 or 1900. The CNET author claims that the bitterness that seems to be inherent in the 1500 series is what is keeping it out of good graces with the SCAA.

Is there any truth to the CNET article? Does the 1500 generally produce more bitter coffee that the 1800 or 1900?

Bonavita BV1500TS review - CNET

Here is a link to the unfavorable CNET Youtube review as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1K_nqF5N4

The last issue is the Carafe. Review after review on Amazon state that the carafe is impossible to completely empty and does not keep the coffee hot for longer than 30 minutes. The coffee is so cold that after 30 minutes creamer will no longer completely dissolve in the coffee. Is this true?

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bonavita BV1500TS 5-Cup Carafe Coffee Brewer, Stainless Steel

The double walled glass carafe looks great though, if I do decide on the BV1500, I will upgrade the carafe to the glass one as soon as it is available.

5-Cup Double Walled Glass Carafe | Bonavita World

Overall, what is the verdict? Is the Bonavita 1500TD a good coffee machine or a "bitter" disappointment ?

nakedland

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm not a coffee expert like you good folks but as a 92 year old gentleman, I've had my share of coffee makers. We own a Bonavita and I have to say this is the very best coffee maker we've ever owned. The temperature of the coffee is almost 200 degrees when finsihed brewing and the flavor is awesome. We don't encounter any bitterness at all. Our friends and family all rave about it when we've served coffee after dinner or with dessert. Hope this was a little helpful.

maskedburito

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I have that carafe issue. It's such a pain! It never ever ever stays warm. By the time I'm done my first cup the coffee is just way too cold. Really stinks cause it's great coffee!

nakedland

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I must be one of the rare ones because our coffee stays hot in carafe the until the last cup. I checked the temp on last cup this morning and came in at 197 degrees.
Guess I got lucky.

I am interested in purchasing the Bonavita 1500TD. In the mornings I drink exactly 16oz's or 1/2 liter of coffee everyday. The 1500TD with the digital timer function would be the ideal machine for me, in theory.

New 5-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer | Bonavita World

Just a couple of questions are on my mind about it.

Why is it not certified by the SCAA? The 1800 and 1900 models are, but why isn't the 1500TS or the 1500TD?
Specialty Coffee Association of America

My biggest concern is deriving from the CNET article. The author of the CNET article seems to think that the 1500 brewer is ultimately too bitter, and does not sit in the same class as the 1800 or 1900. The CNET author claims that the bitterness that seems to be inherent in the 1500 series is what is keeping it out of good graces with the SCAA.

Is there any truth to the CNET article? Does the 1500 generally produce more bitter coffee that the 1800 or 1900?

Bonavita BV1500TS review - CNET

Here is a link to the unfavorable CNET Youtube review as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1K_nqF5N4

The last issue is the Carafe. Review after review on Amazon state that the carafe is impossible to completely empty and does not keep the coffee hot for longer than 30 minutes. The coffee is so cold that after 30 minutes creamer will no longer completely dissolve in the coffee. Is this true?

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bonavita BV1500TS 5-Cup Carafe Coffee Brewer, Stainless Steel

The double walled glass carafe looks great though, if I do decide on the BV1500, I will upgrade the carafe to the glass one as soon as it is available.

5-Cup Double Walled Glass Carafe | Bonavita World

Overall, what is the verdict? Is the Bonavita 1500TD a good coffee machine or a "bitter" disappointment ?

maskedburito

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
My guess is a lot of them get hairline cracks in the glass during shipping and therefore do not hold heat. Also do you fill your entire pot? I find if I make a full pot it stays hotter longer. If I make a half pot it gets cold faster.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Nakedland... I've asked my distributor about the SCAA submission of the 1500... from my understanding it has been submitted to the SCAA for review. Personally, I would go with the 1900 w/ SS carafe.. excellent product with solid pedigree. You can always brew a smaller batch that max capacity.

maskedburito

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I contacted the customer service today. They stand by that the thermal carafe should keep it warm for 3-5 hours. So I definitely have a faulty one and they will send me a new one. So if you get a new one you won't have to worry about that!

nakedland

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Nakedland... I've asked my distributor about the SCAA submission of the 1500... from my understanding it has been submitted to the SCAA for review. Personally, I would go with the 1900 w/ SS carafe.. excellent product with solid pedigree. You can always brew a smaller batch that max capacity.

Musicphan, you may want to read my post again. I was mentioning my experience with my Bonita.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Musicphan, you may want to read my post again. I was mentioning my experience with my Bonita.

Sorry... directed my contact at wrong person... I thought you were the thread starter.

Castello - I did receive feedback as to why the 1500 is not SCAA certified. The 1500 is not under SCAA consideration as the SCAA will not certify any brewer with a capacity less than 1.2 Liters. So the 5 cup does not have enough capacity to ever be certified.

nakedland

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Sorry... directed my contact at wrong person... I thought you were the thread starter.

Castello - I did receive feedback as to why the 1500 is not SCAA certified. The 1500 is not under SCAA consideration as the SCAA will not certify any brewer with a capacity less than 1.2 Liters. So the 5 cup does not have enough capacity to ever be certified.

It's ok. I make mistakes all the time. Ask my wife. :) :)

stupiddumbidiott

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, do you know why they would not consider a brewer with less capacity?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have that carafe issue. It's such a pain! It never ever ever stays warm. By the time I'm done my first cup the coffee is just way too cold. Really stinks cause it's great coffee!

If you fill your carafe with hot water first, it will heat up the interior of the carafe. Then, pour the water out, and make your coffee. The coffee inside the carafe will stay hotter longer. Otherwise, you will be brewing your coffee into a cold carafe, and it cools the coffee down instantly.

maskedburito

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice pink rose but I hate to be lazy but that's such a pain. I've heard of people who's thermal carafe keeps it warm without doing that! Making me think mine is faulty.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks for the advice pink rose but I hate to be lazy but that's such a pain. I've heard of people who's thermal carafe keeps it warm without doing that! Making me think mine is faulty.

It doesn't take much effort to fill the carafe with the hot water from your kitchen sink faucet and rinse it out before making your coffee. It will heat the carafe enough so the hot coffee isn't going into the cold carafe. It may be worth a try. At least you'll know if there is an improvement or not.

Also, if you carafe has a rubber gasket on the lid, be sure it fits snug on the lid. You can rub some vegetable oil on the rubber gasket, and it will help the lid go on smoothly and it will tighten better.

Rose

Last edited: