curtis pulse batch brewing methods

vickenyon

Sep 22, 2012
Los Angeles
Visit site
hi all!

does anyone have any suggestions or established protocols for pulsed batch brewing? i'm using a curtis brewer (d1000gt).

i've tried all of the pre-programmed pulse methods (and adjusted grind size) and the coffee still comes out a little under-extracted. for the record, i have no idea what i'm doing, and i don't have a history of batch brewing.

the best results i've gotten so far are:

water to bean ratio: 19

grind: fine (bunn coffee mill)

pulse 1)
on: 30 s
off: 45 s
pulse 2)
on: 45 s
off: 30 s
pulse 3)
on: 75 s
off: 30 s
pulse 4)
on: 75 s
end cycle.

any help or comments are extremely appreciated! thanks in advance!

Last edited:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Taken from the Curtis manual.

Pulse Brew (Factory set to OFF)Press  to select. Display will now show Select Button. Select desired Brew button to program. The next screen will prompt you topress < > to select OFF or one of four pulse patterns (A to E).

Guidelines for Pulse Brew:The pot level should always be set first, with the Pulse Brew option OFF. Depending on your grind profile and water conditions, thefive Pulse Brew options help “tune” or change the coffee flavor. Filter Pack type coffees typically extract better with the A and B pulsesetting. Decaffeinated coffees typically extract better with the B pulse setting. High-Yield coffees typically extract better with the C pulsesetting. Of course, any of the A, B or C settings may be used to suit your taste profile. There are two additional settings (D and E) thatallow you to manually set the ON TIME pulses and OFF TIME.

If Pulse Brew is selected (ON), Cold Brew Lock is set to Delta 1 within 5º F of set point. Cold Brew Lock and Pre-infusion disappearsfrom the list of program selections. When Pulse Brew is ON, Pre-Infusion disappears from the list of program selections.

I would try A, B, or C before you go and change it up. I'll say this much your first pulse needs to be enough to get the coffee bed to start floating. After that your individual should be closer together. It looks like they are pretty far apart. You have long pour periods followed by long hold times. The purpose of pulse brewing is to keep the bed floating with a little bit of water but not to keep it oversaturated with water piling up over it.

The thing to keep in mind is the stream exiting the funnel. It should be one continuous pour. It should never slow down and act as if it's starting to run dry during the brewing process.