Keurig 200 - Prepare for long term storage

Chepito

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone, Merry Christmas 2015

My name is Cesar. I am new to this forum. For the past few years, I have been a user of a Breville espresso machine. As an espresso with more water is not quite like a brewed Americano coffee, I purchase a Keurig 200 for my wife.

We used the Keurig for the first time on Xmas day. The coffee was just as expected, no complaints there :). However I realized something that I did not anticipated. The machine does not have a way to empty the internal water reservoir.

As we still prefer the espresso, the Keurig was only for the occasional cup of coffee, maybe once or twice a week. With that frequency of use, the water in the internal reservoir will be there stuck for that many days. Worst, we were planning one month vacation next June, meaning the water in the reservoir will not be empty for 30+ days. As you can imagine this option (stagnant water) does not seem very healthy.

Is it possible that Keurig manufacturers missed this very likely possibility, that some consumers may only occasional use the machine? Or consumer go away on trips or such? Does anyone know a way to deal with this issue?

I figured out that by starting the machine and not putting a k-cup, will provide and option to "dispense water". So I am going to have to do this every day just to empty the internal reservoir, even though we are mostly using the espresso for our daily coffee. My problem still remains, what to do when we go away in June.

Thanks for your comments

Cesar