Coffee grinder guide...

maskedburito

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to grinding my own beans. I just got a bodum bistro grinder for Christmas and am ready to learn! I have a bonavita coffee machine.

I am just unsure of what grind size to use and how long to grind etc! Does finer make it more watery or the opposite. What's stronger? Etc. I just am interested in learning the general idea of grinding. Anyone know of a good guide on the Internet?

Thanks!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Don't store your beans in the hopper. Measure out what you need for each brew, a scale is the best way to get repeatable results.

Start in the middle of the grind settings, see how you like the coffee, and work finer from there.

Your preferences are your own, and you'll have to find out what tastes best for you.

stupiddumbidiott

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
The finer the grind size, the longer the water takes to pass through the coffee-which leads to greater extraction. The grind size depends mainly on the brewing method you are using and how much coffee you are making.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to grinding my own beans. I just got a bodum bistro grinder for Christmas and am ready to learn! I have a bonavita coffee machine.

I am just unsure of what grind size to use and how long to grind etc! Does finer make it more watery or the opposite. What's stronger? Etc. I just am interested in learning the general idea of grinding. Anyone know of a good guide on the Internet?

Thanks!

There are lots of coffee grinding guides on the Internet.

Take a look at this one. Scroll down the page and you see lots of useful information.
How to Grind Coffee - Learn About Coffee Grinding

Or, as Peter said in a previous post, you can just start in the middle of your grinder's grind settings, see how you like the coffee, and adjust it finer from there.

Rose