Expanding into the coffee business, equipment question.

WhateverPops

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone,

We are getting ready to open our first brick and mortar cafe and we are in no way experienced with coffee. We hope, as we gain experience and a following, to grow the coffee portion of our business and fill the store in hours that would normally be slow for our concept. Being a complete newb at the coffee end (we are pretty good with out Keurig), we would like to get equipment that is easy to use, provides quality coffee and will not be a maintenance nightmare. Any suggestions for grinders/espresso and drip would be appreciated. We also will be leaning toward a rustic/industrial look vs modern/sleek, so we would like the style of equipment to match. Are there any brands we should stay away, or lean toward? Thanks.

Steve

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I could give you a list of equipment to buy. Will it do you any good with out knowing how to run it...no. I would suggest hiring someone to help you get off and running. Maybe find a local barista that can help you. Where are you located? Sorry if this wasn't helpful...I also suggest reading EVERYTHING you can. This forum is awesome and has some great people on it. Let us know how you get on.

jbilyeu15

Feb 13, 2016
Boulder, CO
Visit site
I don't know if this will be helpful or not but personally I think that the stovetop Moka pots can have a pretty rugged look. I don't know if they have any available for large scale services like a coffee shop but you could give it a look.

friedcoffee

Jan 12, 2016
India
Visit site
I don't know if this will be helpful or not but personally I think that the stovetop Moka pots can have a pretty rugged look. I don't know if they have any available for large scale services like a coffee shop but you could give it a look.
Congratulations for starting a new coffee business. A pretty tough at start when you are new to the thing and will get easier when you will be acquainted with it. Buy these Moka pots or Frenchpress if you think you are going to have a lesser crowd and you are in budget investment, but if you are planning a good coffee shop, than do consider buying a commercial espresso machine for volume extractions. Put these Moka pots and Frenchpress in fancy way for attraction or addon selling items from the shop.
Also it's good to consider hiring a Barista first who is going to use the equipment.