Designs for improving current coffee brewing methods!

jbilyeu15

Feb 13, 2016
Boulder, CO
Visit site
Designs for improving current coffee brewing methods: (click on the pictures to make them bigger!)

Mechanical advantage press -

Get the delicious brew of an Aeropress but with the ease of a lever system that adds a mechanical advantage for easy pressing. Additionally, the sleek design will add an aesthetic appeal to any kitchen countertop.
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 6.46.23 PM.png
(click to enlarge)

Vertical Grinder -
With this product you get the grind you want without the noise of a traditional electric grinder. In addition, with an opening at the bottom of the grinder, simply place the grinder above your filter or french press and let your grinds fall gracefully in.
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 6.46.37 PM.png
(click to enlarge)

Roller Grinder -
By simply rolling this grinder on a countertop you can easily and quietly get the grind you want. Then quickly remove the end and pour into your desired coffee brewer.
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 6.46.56 PM.png
(click to enlarge)

Hourglass Pour-over -
This product minimizes the attention time usually required for a traditional pour over cup of coffee. Instead of the iterated process of pouring water over the grounds, waiting, and then pouring again, this product allows you to let gravity do the work for you. Simply fill one side with the desired amount of water, place grounds within the filter on the other side, set water side on the hot plate, wait for it to come to a boil, and then easily flip the assembly and let the water pour over the grounds via gravity.
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 6.47.07 PM.png
(click to enlarge)

Let us know what you think! Pleas take this short (7 questions) survey at the link below!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PHDVBW2

For more information just reply to this thread with your question.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The manual vertical grinders all seem to have the grinding mechanism handle at the top. Has anyone ever thought about putting it on the side (like one of those old fashioned pencil sharpeners.)?

The manual burr grinders can be a pain to grind, since the handle is in such an awkward position. All of that awkward cranking would eventually hurt a person's shoulder or wrist. Would having the grind handle on the side be easier, or would it be just as awkward?

jbilyeu15

Feb 13, 2016
Boulder, CO
Visit site
Friedcoffee, we haven't created a functional prototype of any of these yet. Currently, we are in the pre-prototyping phase where we want to get feed back on the ideas alone and then we will choose one to move forward with and create multiple prototypes for testing and development.

PinkRose, we have talked about the the grinder handle on the side and it would probably be included in our prototypes if we choose to move forward with the grinder idea. However, even this vertical grinder could be held in almost any direction as long as the beans are still being ground.

If you all could take the survey at the link below it would really help us out!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PHDVBW2

Thanks!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I don't see any way to hold a grinder in mid air and crank with the other one, while holding it in position over a cup or filter holder, unless there is some sort of gear mechanism to amplify your torque.

Pinewatt

Aug 2, 2015
San Jose
Visit site
I would agree with Koffee above. I work as a product designer in a coffee start up and sharing your pre-prototype ideas on a public forum leaves you little legal recourse should someone attempt to steal your idea. I understand the fine line between getting product feedback and protecting an idea but sharing your drawings on a website full of coffee professionals could potentially have a bad consequence.
For the vertical grinder, I agree with Peterjschmidt, holding it above your pot while grinding is harder than it sounds grinds would get all over. Personally, I think you have something with the rolling grinder, that seems very cool.
As for the Hourglass pour over, Fellow has done something very similar.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The reality is by putting it on a public forum actually starts the 1 year clock ticking. You can then file for a provisional patent in the U.S. giving you another year to file a regular patent application. Of course you're going to lose all International rights for going this route, and with China being a big factor, you probably are going to lose your ass in the international market if your product is a hit. Of course you still get the U.S. market if you can keep out the knockoffs from overseas...

Last edited:

mcivank

Have you tried out hand grinders? Load one and turn it sidewise, upside-down, you'll notice they are gravity fed. The rolling grinder is interesting, but presents new interaction challenges. The vertical grinder seems to require magic, and I'm not sure there is vertical space in the rolling grinder to allow gravity to pull the beans into the burrs. I could see a larger sphere or cylinder working but I'm suspicious that dusting coffee grinds will contaminate your rolling surface, reducing traction and increasing user frustration!

Anyway, I rather despise my hand grinder, once I can justify the purchase I'll get an electric one. Grinding get tedious. I now grind with larger, range of motion movements (holding the grinder left, right, high, low) to make it more interesting and protect my joints from the repetition.

As for brewing I don't mind the pressing force, I suspect many advanced users adjust their process to suit their physical exertion. Everyone else employs patience or slackens their grind. I'm working to refine the Aeropress, but just as a personal exercise. It's a mess from a simplicity and affordance perspective, and often gets harsh aesthetic critiques. Just think how much better the coffee would taste if it was more elegant! ;)

Hourglass is a divinely elegant solution, although I bet you compromise some extraction control.