Breville Barista Express BES870BSXL - Coffee tasting bitter/sour - Help?!

sarahleah101

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I am a huge coffee fan. Yes I like to add flavouring so it's not on the bitter straight up espresso side. But I've been going to Starbucks quite a lot and my keriug wasn't doing it for me anymore. So I upgraded to the Breville Barista Express BES870BSXL in the hopes I'd cut costs and brew my own coffee and not feel tied down to a Starbucks. However I've tried to make about 10 cups of coffee so far and they're all bitter and I can't even take more than 2 sips. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, can someone please help me?

I'm not an expert at making coffee so if you use the lingo try to use words to explain it better for me.

I should add that I purchased the Starbucks beans from them to get the same coffee I love so much.

Thank you so much! :)

Last edited:

BPal75

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Are you using the double or single basket? Dual wall or single wall? Where on the pressure dial is your needle during the brewing process? Need more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarahleah101

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I've attached a picture of the pressure

Hello. I've attached the meter. I think this is what you're asking.

Thank you.

ve
Are you using the double or single basket? Dual wall or single wall? Where on the pressure dial is your needle during the brewing process? Need more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_3558.JPG
    IMG_3558.JPG
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 954

coffeewheel

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I was just thinking about the exact same issue this morning.

I read a post the other day by Mr Peaberry "Actually the contact time is what the pressure influences. The finer the grind the hotter the water the quicker the extraction rate. Over extracted coffee is horrible. So with an espresso using almost dust like particles the pressure is required to reduce the contact time. If you want an espresso just get an espresso machine there's nothing that tastes like an espresso other than espresso"

My breville manual machine (looks similar to photo, but is a different model). Sometimes it makes coffee that tastes a bit ashtray like and then really great coffee at other times. I usually use the double shot (2 cups button) with the double basket. Most of the time the coffee is nice.

This morning i made a coffee with lavazza beans and i pressed the 1 shot or 1 cup by mistake and it was surprisingly sweet. I am just thinking that perhaps using the single basket might make better tasting coffee because it will reduce exposure tothe coffee grinds time.

Also that if i want a strong coffee perhaps i should be using a single cup or shot, with a double basket instead of pressing the 2 cup button.

I am going to experiment now, however I am really interested to hear the outcome of this thread. I notice as well that my pressure dial seem to really vary. I am now thinking that if i pack too much coffee in the shot, it may effect the pressure.

Last edited:

coffeewheel

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Sweet instead of Sour

Thanks for the great advise, it worked! I just reduced the time by ending the shot earlier each time manually and now I have beautiful sweet creme coffee. Very nice indeed! Very helpfule :)

itsabean

Nov 23, 2014
South FL
Visit site
To time the shot on the Barista Express, press either the 1 CUP or 2 CUP button during extraction when you want to end the shot manually. It's described as manually controlling the shot volume, but it also allows you to time your shots.
David

itsabean

Nov 23, 2014
South FL
Visit site
Meanwhile, timing the shot involves noting how many seconds elapse from button push until flow begins and how long the extraction lasts (without stopping it manually). For example, if flow doesn't start until more than 8 seconds and the shot lasts more than 40 seconds, that's over extraction. If the flow begins after 4-7 seconds and lasts for 25-35 seconds before stopping on its own, that a good one. Under extraction sees flow after just 1-3 seconds and runs only up to 20 seconds before ending.
So, I was mistaken to imply that manually stopping a shot can improve taste. Rather, over or under extraction are corrected by adjusting grind size, grind volume, tamping in the portafilter basket and bean freshness. I've discovered that bean freshness is critical to taste.

v

coffeewheel

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Reduce the extraction time

I make sure the flow has started and the pressure gauge is up. Then I count approx 16 seconds from the time it has started to flow. This seems to work, if I get it right the coffee is nice and sweet! If i over extract it can have a burnt or sour taste. :coffee1:

coffeewheel

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Meanwhile, timing the shot involves noting how many seconds elapse from button push until flow begins and how long the extraction lasts (without stopping it manually). For example, if flow doesn't start until more than 8 seconds and the shot lasts more than 40 seconds, that's over extraction. If the flow begins after 4-7 seconds and lasts for 25-35 seconds before stopping on its own, that a good one. Under extraction sees flow after just 1-3 seconds and runs only up to 20 seconds before ending.
So, I was mistaken to imply that manually stopping a shot can improve taste. Rather, over or under extraction are corrected by adjusting grind size, grind volume, tamping in the portafilter basket and bean freshness. I've discovered that bean freshness is critical to taste.

v
I agree fresh beans make all the difference, my grinder conked out the other day, I have had to buy pre ground coffee, and I can manage to get an okay tasting espresso, but no where near as nice as when using freshley ground beans. I have to be more carfeful with the tamping, and filling of the basket, to get just a mediocre good result:coffee-bean: