1884 GEM Peanut & Coffee Roaster

netsell4u

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I am a new member to the forum, I am helping a friend. He has come across an 1884 antique peanut and coffee drum roaster, it appears to be in very good, useable condition. He was going to turn it into some type of a BBQ and I suggested that he may want to research it before he "destroys" it. He is not too computer literate, so he asked for my help. I have not found any info (except for patent info) on this maker/model (Gem Coffee & Peanut Roaster, Manf'd by Louis Rosenkranz, Rhinebeck, N.Y., Pat. NOV. 14 1884) and ANY info would be appreciated, thank you, Peace! Roasted 1.JPGRoasted 5.JPGRoasted 2.JPGRoasted 12.JPGRoasted 16.JPG

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
holy crap. That is awesome...as a show piece. I can't imagine cranking that for a long period of time! Where is it and how much is he asking?

netsell4u

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
It is VERY COOL, and I agree, I can't fathom cranking that for a day at the fair! The piece is on Cape Cod (MA), as far as a asking price, I do not really know yet, I've been doing some research, but I really have no idea of what it is worth...he wanted to turn it in to a rotisserie! I wanted to convince him not to wreck it first, and I was hoping someone here may be able to help me to determine it's value (or point me in the direction of someone who can).

netsell4u

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I agree, half of me wants to go into the roasted peanut business...fairs, concerts, sporting events, what a blast!!! I would have to motorize it somehow though, or develop a "Hulk" arm!

RichJH

Jul 13, 2021
Palo Alto CA
Visit site
I searched high and low but was unable to find the patent number anywhere on a google patent search in the U. S. and I collect home U. S. Patent home coffee roasters I have them on my web site at https://www.oldcoffeeroaster.com I have been fascinated by them for years now.

Hi, I am a new member to the forum, I am helping a friend. He has come across an 1884 antique peanut and coffee drum roaster, it appears to be in very good, useable condition. He was going to turn it into some type of a BBQ and I suggested that he may want to research it before he "destroys" it. He is not too computer literate, so he asked for my help. I have not found any info (except for patent info) on this maker/model (Gem Coffee & Peanut Roaster, Manf'd by Louis Rosenkranz, Rhinebeck, N.Y., Pat. NOV. 14 1884) and ANY info would be appreciated, thank you, Peace!View attachment 5626View attachment 5627View attachment 5628View attachment 5629View attachment 5630

Last edited:

RichJH

Jul 13, 2021
Palo Alto CA
Visit site
Hi, I am a new member to the forum, I am helping a friend. He has come across an 1884 antique peanut and coffee drum roaster, it appears to be in very good, useable condition. He was going to turn it into some type of a BBQ and I suggested that he may want to research it before he "destroys" it. He is not too computer literate, so he asked for my help. I have not found any info (except for patent info) on this maker/model (Gem Coffee & Peanut Roaster, Manf'd by Louis Rosenkranz, Rhinebeck, N.Y., Pat. NOV. 14 1884) and ANY info would be appreciated, thank you, Peace!View attachment 5626View attachment 5627View attachment 5628View attachment 5629View attachment 5630