Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aeropress seems great, but I don't want plastic in my coffee

I have read a lot of extremely positive online reviews about the taste of the coffee the AeroPress makes, but I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of using a plastic device to make coffee, since it's very possible that at least a very small amount of plastic might dissolve into the hot water each time coffee is made. And some online reviews say just that - the plastic parts do literally disintegrate/dissolve over time. If that is true, then I think the only place this missing plastic could be going is into the coffee. And please don't tell me I shouldn't worry because these plastics are FDA approved and so on. Just because something is FDA approved does not necessarily mean it is safe. The FDA generally does not do long term testing.
    So, I am looking for a product that can make coffee that tastes as about as good as Aeropress coffee that only uses glass and/or metal, so that the hot water never comes into contact with plastic. Is the only option I have a French press? What I would love to buy is a metal/glass version of the AeroPress, but I don't think it exists. I would appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks!
    Greg

Bonavita makes something similar to the Clever Coffee Dripper in porcelain.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    Bonavita makes something similar to the Clever Coffee Dripper in porcelain.
    Thank you. Is there a product out there that can make good espresso, using air pressure like the Aeropress? The products above don't appear to use air pressure. The air pressure apparently assists in the brewing process.
    Thanks!
    Greg

Actually the contact time is what the pressure influences. The finer the grind the hotter the water the quicker the extraction rate. Over extracted coffee is horrible. So with an espresso using almost dust like particles the pressure is required to reduce the contact time. If you want an espresso just get an espresso machine there's nothing that tastes like an espresso other than espresso. Everything else is just close but no cigar. That was for you Bacchus

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by greg9840 View Post
    Thank you. Is there a product out there that can make good espresso, using air pressure like the Aeropress? The products above don't appear to use air pressure. The air pressure apparently assists in the brewing process.
    Thanks!
    Greg

You can explore these options:

Handpresso Wild - Hand Pump Portable Espresso Machine - The Green Head

Amazon.com: Handpresso HPWILD Wild 16-Bar Hand-Pump Portable Espresso Machine: Hand Held Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

hand espresso maker | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    ...So with an espresso using almost dust like particles the pressure is required to reduce the contact time. ...
    Not to hijack greg9840's thread, but thank you Mr. Peaberry for explaining something I have wondered about, maybe even posted a question about!

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
    Not to hijack greg9840's thread, but thank you Mr. Peaberry for explaining something I have wondered about, maybe even posted a question about!
    You're welcome Kudzu I'm not an expert by any means, but an extraction is an extraction, and my explanation if fairly simplistic because the pressure is also codependent on the proper compaction of the coffee "puck" in the portafilter in order to yield a great shot. There is a lot of skill involved, so when the question arose on this forum of whether a barista is an artist or just a worker, to me the answer wasn't a simple answer. Perhaps there should be terminology that conveys one's level of skill, such as in the martial arts. I would definitely be considered a green belt!

Cheers!

Fantastic, way of description! love your analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    Actually the contact time is what the pressure influences. The finer the grind the hotter the water the quicker the extraction rate. Over extracted coffee is horrible. So with an espresso using almost dust like particles the pressure is required to reduce the contact time. If you want an espresso just get an espresso machine there's nothing that tastes like an espresso other than espresso. Everything else is just close but no cigar. That was for you Bacchus
    Thanks for thinking of me, Mr. P, but let's include PeterJSchmidt, too. He's a cigar fan too.

PJS is herewith grandfathered into the former post that mentioned cigars. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links