Vev stovetop stainless steel espresso maker -- pressure release valve has blown out

Muse

Apr 15, 2016
SF Bay Area
Visit site
1st post! :grin:

I've had this "machine" for over 30 years, have probably used it upwards of 40,000 times! Around 20 years ago the pressure release valve blew out, and this makes the machine pretty useless. I found another in a store that specialized in coffee, machines, and such in downtown San Francisco. I don't know the store, it's probably gone now. I'm in Berkeley, across the bridge.

Well, that 2nd valve has now blown as of a couple days ago, worse than the 1st. So, I have the 1st in there now.

I can't find anything online, called Espresso Zone, they said they've been unable to find the valves themselves. The person I talked to said as far as they know, I can't repair mine.

I see nothing on Ebay for that. My internet searches haven't come up with anything.

I figure I could haunt the thrift stores and come up with something, but wonder if I can just buy the part somewhere. Any ideas? I'm subscribing to this with instant email notifications. Thanks!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Muse,

If you can post a photo or give us a better description of the type of coffee maker you're looking to repair, it's possible that someone on the Forum may already have one that's just sitting around not being used.

It sounds like you're referring to a mokapot. I wondering if mokapot valves are interchangeable between brands.

Muse

Apr 15, 2016
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Can you post a pic of your busted machine? All that comes to mind is the mokapot...

It looks quite similar to this except the handle. Note the small pressure relief valve on the bottom portion. I believe it's brass. When I say it's blown out I don't mean exploded out. The valve looks the same but its ability to hold pressure in has been compromised. It releases steam much too readily, so much so that even with the flame on low there's not enough pressure to force water up through the grounds into the upper chamber. One of my two valves is just barely able to do that now, so the maker is limping along. I'd like to get ahold of a couple of replacement valves. I believe they used to be available, that's how I got the first replacement. But they don't appear to be readily found now. Seems strange. Certainly, they're selling the coffee makers. They sell replacement gaskets, baskets, not the valves.

41tYvFK+amL.jpg

Last edited:

Muse

Apr 15, 2016
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Thank you. Well, that's an option. It appears inferior to my maker, but the valve in it might fit in mine, so it's an option and I'm putting it in my watch list.

In another thread someone posted some links to where I can get valves. Would they fit? I don't know, and they are all Italian sites and I don't know if or how I can order there. Here's one of them:
(this site won't let me include the link...) (they won't let me post links yet because my post-count is below 5)

It looks as though it may be the one, or fit, but I wouldn't know unless I tried. I found an email address for one of the Italian sites and sent them an email in English. Will see if they reply to me in English with instructions. I included the spec I have on my machine -- on the bottom it says the following:

VeV
INOX
18/10
MADE ITALY
T 6

The item is:

Riferimento: 9004194

Cod. 9004194 - VALVOLA MOKA TIPO VECCHIO VIG

You will find this or similar Italian sites by searching on the above, i.e. 9004194 or VALVOLA MOKA TIPO VECCHIO VIG

The email address is: to info at famasas dot com (can't include actual email addresses until my post count reaches 5)

I measured this morning and my espresso maker can produce up to 12 ounces of coffee. I prefer a machine that can do this. Being used to it, I'd feel that 8 ounces is inadequate.

If possible, and I suppose it is, I want to get another valve (or two, to have a backup) for the machine I have. However, I might get another as long as it is stainless steel and has at least 12 ounces capacity.

Last edited:

KaiserJeep

Mar 6, 2016
Silicon Valley, CA
Visit site
The original Moka pot (which is what your "Vev" is) was made by Bialetti, the original designer. They are still the most common brand in Europe, and parts are widely available.

There are two types of pressure relief valves. One is intended for a threaded hole, and is most commonly found in cast aluminum pots like the original Bialetti:

61s2pDunk9L._SY355_.jpg

If your "Vev" is this type of threaded valve, and has an English or SAE thread, you are probably screwed, Moka pots are only made in metric today.

The other type of valve is also threaded, but has a raised flange, kind of like a hollow bolt. It is intended for thinner walled stainless steel pots that are "spun" on a sheet metal lathe from a disc of metal:

vev-vigano-kontessa.jpg

I suspect from your description that your pot is the second type. The center of each relief valve is a metal plug embedded in a specific grade of rubber designed to yield at a specific pressure. Bialetti makes both styles of spare relief valves. I suggest you examine the Bialetti pots at a local store and order the spare part for the relief valve closest to yours. The hole diameter is critical - slightly larger than the diameter of the threads, which are visible from the outside. If in doubt, order a slightly larger diameter valve than yours and either drill or file your hole until the new valve just slips in. A valve smaller than your original would leak.

I still like and recommend the original Bialetti octagonal cast aluminum moka pot. After you brew and discard one pot of coffee, you cannot taste any metal taste, the coffee oils coat the metal. People tend to put stainless pots in a dishwasher and they just never taste right.

Muse

Apr 15, 2016
SF Bay Area
Visit site
I never put my stainless VeV in a dishwasher, have never owned a dishwasher!

Now, yesterday I did an errand run. After everything else was taken care of I stopped at the most stocked hardware store I know of, it's the size of a small warehouse. It's been there for at least 45 years, probably longer. I'd brought the bottom of my VeV and my spare valve (non-working) as well. They didn't have the part. The manager said my valves had weakened due to all the steam, the spring that forces the ball against the closure hole was no longer capable of keeping sufficient pressure inside the machine to force the coffee up into the upper chamber, at least enough for a full pot of coffee.

I was directed to an upper crust culinary importer/retailer and they didn't have the valve either. They suggested I try a specialty coffee place (brew and equipment) a couple of blocks away. They didn't deal in moka pots any longer.

I then played my last card, which was to try the largest thrift store I know of, a giant recycling center, about the size of 1/2 a city block. I'd tried a couple of smaller thrift stores a few days ago, to no avail. They had an aluminum moka pot whose valve fits mine (I'd brought a Crescent wrench!). I paid the $6 for the pot, brought it home and made about 4 batches of coffee (later and this morning). The maximum output was about 11 ounces. I deliberated whether to keep using it or transfer the valve to my trusty stainless VeV, which can produce up to 13 ounces. The aluminum pot says Made in Italy, Junior Express, Crusinallo, and looks very nearly new. To me it appears that it was probably used not more than a few hundred times, probably less. It's in excellent shape. However, the last brew I made with it, I couldn't prevent it from spilling a bit of coffee on my stove when pouring into my favorite cup. That decided it. I removed its valve and screwed it into my VeV stainless, which I just used to make 13 ounces of brew. If I treat the thing well, it may make me another 40,000 brews if I live that long!

I'm going to try to be careful never to put the maker on high heat and forget it, which is what blew out the other two valves I have. Putting it on high heat is OK but once the coffee is rushing into the upper chamber it's wise to reduce the flame to low, quite low, really for the rest of the brewing process.

Now, people say that stainless steel moka pots after a time get stained, and it's true. Especially if you forget and leave the heat on high, the exterior darkens, scorches, and it no longer has that wonderful mirror gleam of the new pot. It IS possible to restore the original appearance (I've fought this "problem" for years, tried many many things). The only thing that really works for me, and I did this a few days ago, is to use wet-dry (black) sandpapers. These sandpapers can and usually should be used wet. I start with a very coarse grade, either 150 or 180 grit and work my way all the way up to extremely fine grits:

(150)

By the time you've used the 1500, the machine looks virtually brand new!

Before each brewing session, I wash the exterior with a soft kitchen-spongy netted dish cleaning implement with some soap and water (and rinse). This really helps to keep the maker looking great.

Last edited:

KaiserJeep

Mar 6, 2016
Silicon Valley, CA
Visit site
I understand how one gets attached to things, but the wet/dry sandpaper costs $1.50 per sheet at the local hardware store, and buying a new Moka pot about the same as nine sheets of sandpaper.

I keep the rubber seals that separate the upper/lower chambers on hand, you have inspired me to order a spare Bialetti pressure relief valve online.

Keep on brewing!

Geri

Kaiser Jeep, I see you are from CA too. Where did you get your spare pressure relief valves online? I realize you may not be able to post the link, but is there a name of the business and location you can share...phone number? Thanks!