Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cool coffee machine/equipment

I have been researching for home roasters for a while. Just for my family. and this morning, I ran across this roaster which has not even been released and supposedly it should be on the market next month, but I am not so certain.
    I do not know how much it costs, but it got to be close to $1K range for Pro and maybe $500 range for home use, I am just guessing.....

they have two versions, one for home use and one for professional (as sample roaster).
    the best thing about this is that, the roasting process can be customized according to which beans you are using for home or sample cupping roasting, then you can monitor, change, program with smart phone apps or Ipad...etc.

it is very interesting roaster and if this will be a success, there might be a lot of copy-cat, lower priced home roasters coming out with similar concepts. That should be very interesting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDKW-LBZfEk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-4vyrFLqc

IKAWA home & Pro roaster : is this future of home roasting?-ikawa-home-roaster-600x456.jpgIKAWA home & Pro roaster : is this future of home roasting?-download.jpg
    Last edited by ensoluna; 03-18-2017 at 07:15 AM.

I have my suspicions that this roaster would really never be anything other than a new embodiment of the Hearthware roaster and the like. Design-wise, it is Sharper-Image-Chic, and it has cool software support for modifying roast profiles and automating the process, but has some serious limitations, such as sample size (50g). During the trade show interview, the exhibitor mentioned about coffee professionals taking it along on visits to producing countries, but, again, the sample size is so small, and what serious coffee farm or coop doesn't already have better sample roasting equipment in house?? Serious home roasters too will be turned off by the seriously lilliputian batch size when there are so many other options on the market. To be fair, I think the designers have done a wonderful job, but this is not going to be the "Keurig-of-home-roasting-equipment" ...just sayin'

Peaberry

At 60g ~ $700.... I dont' see that taking off for anyone serious into coffee. That's barely enough to brew a pot of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    At 60g ~ $700.... I dont' see that taking off for anyone serious into coffee. That's barely enough to brew a pot of coffee.
    Good point! Come to think of it, Michael Sivitz used to sell a hot air gun attachment for roasting coffee samples of about this size. More portable, but doesn't have the SIC appeal, nor the fashionable travel bag...just sayin!

Just for "shits & giggles" (my previous co-worker used to say...), I emailed to Ikawa. and below is the reply I got from them today.
    So..... the sample roaster (60gram) is $3235.00 ($0.6868 = 1 pound).

Hello Alex,

I hope you are well.

Thank you for your enquiry and request for a quotation and thanks for telling me about your company and your interest in IKAWA, it's really great to hear.

The IKAWA Professional Sample Roaster is 2,200 + shipping. Shipping to Guatemala would be around 150.

Your roaster includes 1-year warranty, two collection jars, the IKAWApp (and updates), and an Account Manager throughout your use of the Pro Roaster.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to help and I look forward to your feedback in general.

Kind Regards,

Jess

Jess Godwin
    Office Manager | IKAWA Coffee
    www.ikawacoffee.com
    O: +44 (0)207 7295 664
    E: jess@ikawacoffee.com
    Unit 2 | 5 Durham Yard | Bethnal Green | London | E2 6QF

$3235 - WOW... good luck with that! I hate to be cynical about someone launching a new product but I simply don't see how this is viable in the market.

Anyone willing to spend that kind of money to roast 60g of coffee deserves this...

IKAWA home & Pro roaster : is this future of home roasting?-kickme.jpeg

Just sayin'....

How about FreshRoast SR500 Automatic Coffee Bean Roaster

yep. this should be pretty good for home simple roasting and pricing is very reasonable at $170 range.
    however, even though this has heat & fan speed control, I am not so certain whether this "fluid bed air roaster" would be good as a sample roaster. it roasts 90 grams of green coffee which is almost perfect size for a sample roaster. But probably not. But it would be great for simple home roasting for family use.

We (our company) has $9000.00 Joper sample roaster, but many of our customers tell me that $9K sample roaster is not good enough to roast some of the finicky specialty coffees. And they prefer $14,500 Probat sample roaster... well.... someday....

And I wonder what these customers might say if I use Freshroast SR500 to roast their sample coffee for cupping sessions in our lab.

That would be funny as hell....as a practical joke. ha ha ha

IMO COFFEE MAKER is another very cool and strange looking coffee maker, designed by Alisson Stroher.
    the swing arm can be adjusted its height to fill cups of varying sizes and has the ability to brew 3 packets of coffee without changing the water in the tank.

BY THE WAY, IT IS ONLY A CONCEPT, SO LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS CONCEPT DESIGN.
    retail pricing would be around $130.00 range.

IKAWA home & Pro roaster : is this future of home roasting?-18ml4r0pjkyb.jpgIKAWA home & Pro roaster : is this future of home roasting?-18r75qtgeaq6.jpgIKAWA home & Pro roaster : is this future of home roasting?-18r75qtgeekh.jpgIKAWA home & Pro roaster : is this future of home roasting?-18r75qvff3mx.jpg

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links