Question about the Baratza Vitruoso

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the Baratza Virtuoso to replace my Encore. I didn't realize until after I had ordered it that it has a timer instead of simply and on off switch. Not a really big deal I guess other than I think I'd prefer just a switch.
Just wondering if the timer has any actual purpose?

techspace411

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Other than helping you guesstimate your grinding time, not much. It's apparently not terribly accurate either. Be aware, it tends to fall off from time to time. A little wedge of cardboard takes care of that.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
The timer thingy is nothing special, but can be helpful. Exactly how you use it depends on how you brew your coffee and your brewing process. The way I use mine is, after pouring the coffee beans into the bean hopper, I give the timer knob a twist, with a vague notion of the quantity of beans and, therefore, required grind time. There is no precision about it. While the beans are being ground, I do a couple of other steps in my brewing process. If the beans finish grinding, and the grinder is just whirring, before I finish my other tasks, I reach over and turn the grinder off by twisting the timer knob to the off position. OTOH, if the timer runs out, before all the beans are ground, when I finish my other tasks, I finish the grinding process by holding down the button on the front of the grinder. All this explanation is far more complicated than the reality. When you have your process down pat, you won't give it a thought.