Newbie: looking for the most reliable Super-Automatic

DoninDEN

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
We have to replace our old Gaggia, pre-Classic and want a Super-Automatic for a number of reasons, but ease of use and clean up is most important. What are the most reliable Super-Automatics? I want something that won't need servicing every few years.

DoninDEN

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
I've been looking and am currently thinking about the Delonghi 3300 Magnifica or the Gaggia Brera. And thoughts on these units? I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible but get a Super-Automatic that brews a good espresso and is reliable.

techspace411

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey DoninDen,

I've seen some good reviews on both of those units, but the one I'm impressed with is the replacement for the Saeco Vienna Plus. It's a second iteration now and is called the Saeco XSmall Vapore. It looks to be about the
same size as the Brera and a comparable price. It's a little more than the DeLonghi. The Vapore is easy to clean and maintain. The brew group comes out and rinses pretty easily.

I've got a review on it here:

Meet the Saeco Vienna Plus' Little Brother: the Xsmall Vapore

Let me know if you've got any questions.

DoninDEN

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I purchased a refurbished Delonghi Gran Dama yesterday. I chose it primarily due to what I heard about reliability and the milk canister. Interestingly, after a number of inquiries, I came to the conclusion that there is not a terrible amount of difference between a $300 Super-Automatic and $3,000 Super-Automatic. I'm excited to try it when it arrives! The Barista at my local favorite coffee shop, Aviano, said the lack of flexibility in pulling a shot is relative to the type of bean, is what hold the Super-Automatics back, but he also agreed that if I'm pulling one shot a day as opposed to 200, I would have a hard time dialing in any machine. I'll play with the settings and see what I can do as far as tweaking it.