Bonavita Immersion Dripper?

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
I stumbled on a bunch of reviews of the Bonavita Immersion Dripper. A number of reviewers commented that they preferred it over the Clever Dripper. Anybody, especially anybody who has used both, have any thoughts about one versus the other?

I have used both (extensively).
Executive summary: The Bonavita is a clear winner.

Bonavita:
Owned for more than 2 years, used daily.
Heavy ceramic body with plastic base containing a manually operated valve.
Ceramic body is very easy to keep clean.
Manually operated valve has been 100% reliable without any drips when closed.
Manually operated valve is a pain if you accidentally leave it open when pouring the water (have done too many times).
Suggestion: pre-heat unit with boiling water without coffee. Pour out boiling water, add coffee and add (almost) boiling water.
This method means that, if you accidentally leave the valve open, you don't get hot coffee everywhere and pre-heating the heavy ceramic body is good for better brewing temp.

Smartdripper:
Bought a case of them from coffee shrub and handed out many to friends.
Used a few myself over a several year period.
100% plastic body & base.
The plastic exhibits hairline cracks after a while.
It will never be as good to clean as the Bonavita, even without the cracks that develop.
The valve usage is great. Simply put it over the cup to open it.
No problems with accidental open valves that I suffer from with the Bonavita.
Some of the ones I used, the valve dripped or even trickled when closed.
Note that this device is shipped with a drip tray, implying that they know the closed valve isn't perfect.
I reckon this device is OK for a short lifespan.
Significantly cheaper than the Bonavita, especially if you buy a case of 12 of them.

Smartdrippers make good gifts to other coffee people due to their price (especially by the case of 12).
For longevity and cleanliness, the Bonavita wins. The only minor failing is the ease at which human error can forget the valve is open. Luckily I never make mistakes :)