Breville 920 Dual Boiler Expresso Machine - looking for reviews and comments.

smitrock63

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm building and business plan to start a small coffee shop. I'm new to all of this so I'm all ears and appreciate all help I can get. I've found the above referenced machine on Amazon new for around $1200.00. Wondering if it's a good brand and will it hold up being used for a drive up window coffee shack that is expected to be set up in a small town of 18,000 population on a high traffic road. I haven't done any studies or found numbers yet on potential customers but feel strongly it will go in my community.

Also, coffee grinders - Same company makes industrial grinders. Any suggestions?

Thanks Again,

Michael S. Smith

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
The BDB920 is a good "HOME" espresso machine, not commercial! So, forget about it, it will not work. You need to look for a true commercial machine. And ideally a two group machine.

For the grinders you have many choices like Malhkonig, Compak, Nuova Simonelli, Anfim, Ceado, etc....

smitrock63

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Advice

The BDB920 is a good "HOME" espresso machine, not commercial! So, forget about it, it will not work. You need to look for a true commercial machine. And ideally a two group machine.

For the grinders you have many choices like Malhkonig, Compak, Nuova Simonelli, Anfim, Ceado, etc....

Thank you. That helps. So, can you give me an idea of how much a industrial espresso would cost? As said above, I will need to serve a city of 18000, busy road. Not going to have the customer base like a sidewalk in a busy area of a big city, but surely a $300 $500,000 gross sales annually would be possible.

thank you,

mike

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
A two group and brand new commercial espresso machine will be at least $5000. The NS Appia is one of them for example. I prefer the volumetric NS Aurelia but this one is probably around $10K. And there are machine much more expensive then that!

You will need at least one dedicated espresso grinder and a brew grinder. You may also need an other espresso grinder if you serve decaf of single origine coffee.

Here where i live it is quite easy to get a cheap but good commercial brew grinder like the two Bunn G9 for example that are solidly built, easy to repair or replace burrs. You shoud be able to find a used G-serie Bunn brew grinder for $200-$300 (new they are around $1000) figure a set of new burrs at around $225 i think.

A good espresso grinder like the Malhkonig K30 or Peak, the NS Mythos, the Anfirm Scody II, Compak E8 or the Ceado E37s will be between $1000 to $3000 in average. You can also get theses used but it is a bit more difficult to find a good deal (at least in my area) and always figure the price of a new burr sets to avoid deception. For the price with a solid commercial built quality but less fancy the new Anfirm Scody II might be the best choice. This is just a short list, there are many other good grinders availables.

My best advice is to find a local espresso machines and grinders shop that sell and repair them as you will eventually need maintenance or repair and the ability to repair in short timeframe your commercials equipements are of high value!

Note: The prices i give are just ballpark as i am in Canada so i just tried to translate some of the price i see here in $usd. You really need to visit a good shop and continu to read to learn as much as you can to avoid costly mistakes.

Last edited: