Dummy Proof Coffee Pot Recommendation

budpruitt

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
My in-laws (bless them) have for the third time now pored coffee all over my white counter tops. They fail to put the coffee pot back in the right place before brewing the coffee. Is there a coffee pot maker that has a safety catch? i.e. don't pore the coffee out when the pot is not in place.

I tried searching the forums for dummy proof/idiot proof but didn't find anything. Perhaps, I'm missing similar suggestions? I also tried searching on Google and Amazon. I can't be the only one with similar issues.

Admittedly, my coffee pot is a cheapie from Target that's over 10 years old. Do new ones now have this feature by default?

Thanks in advance for helping me out with a recommendation.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
In the case of Hamilton Beach...they call it a "brew pause". This allows one to pour a cup of coffee before the brew cycle is done. Cuisinart uses a similar feature on many of it's brew baskets. Just Google "brew baskets with brew pause" and then on the search results, click the images button. When you see something that looks like a brew basket with a brew pause feature, go to that page and see what machine it is on. Have fun with it!!

Peaberry

budpruitt

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
In the case of Hamilton Beach...they call it a "brew pause". This allows one to pour a cup of coffee before the brew cycle is done. Cuisinart uses a similar feature on many of it's brew baskets. Just Google "brew baskets with brew pause" and then on the search results, click the images button. When you see something that looks like a brew basket with a brew pause feature, go to that page and see what machine it is on. Have fun with it!!

Peaberry

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I appreciate it.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If the coffee pot isn't put back under the brew basket area before the coffee is brewed, the coffee maker will brew the coffee anyway, and then the coffee will run all over the counter.

I'm not sure if they make a coffee maker that won't brew the coffee if the coffee pot isn't in position.

It sounds like the brew-pause feature that Mr. Peaberry mentioned won't help you much. That feature is only good for when you're already brewing the coffee into the pot, and you want to remove the pot for a few seconds to pour some coffee into your mug. Then you resume brewing when you're done taking some of the coffee. It's mainly meant for people who just can't wait for the coffee maker to finish brewing a full pot. And, if you don't put the coffee pot back within a short amount of time, the coffee will continue brewing and spill out all over the counter anyway.

You may have better success if you try to train the old dogs some new tricks.

If you have a label maker, you can make a label that can be stuck on an area above or below the on/off switch for the coffee maker. It can say something like Put Coffee Pot In Place and it will be a reminder for them to put the coffee pot back where it belongs before turning on the coffee maker to brew the coffee. If you make the label and have one of them (the most likely culprit) stick it on for you, his or her brain will get the message faster. Eventually putting the coffee pot back where it belongs will become a habit, and the problem will be solved.

Rose

budpruitt

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
If the coffee pot isn't put back under the brew basket area before the coffee is brewed, the coffee maker will brew the coffee anyway, and then the coffee will run all over the counter.

I'm not sure if they make a coffee maker that won't brew the coffee if the coffee pot isn't in position.

It sounds like the brew-pause feature that Mr. Peaberry mentioned won't help you much. That feature is only good for when you're already brewing the coffee into the pot, and you want to remove the pot for a few seconds to pour some coffee into your mug. Then you resume brewing when you're done taking some of the coffee. It's mainly meant for people who just can't wait for the coffee maker to finish brewing a full pot. And, if you don't put the coffee pot back within a short amount of time, the coffee will continue brewing and spill out all over the counter anyway.

You may have better success if you try to train the old dogs some new tricks.

If you have a label maker, you can make a label that can be stuck on an area above or below the on/off switch for the coffee maker. It can say something like Put Coffee Pot In Place and it will be a reminder for them to put the coffee pot back where it belongs before turning on the coffee maker to brew the coffee. If you make the label and have one of them (the most likely culprit) stick it on for you, his or her brain will get the message faster. Eventually putting the coffee pot back where it belongs will become a habit, and the problem will be solved.

Rose

That's a great suggestion! I'll definitely do that.

Has anyone tried the single serve/pour type coffee makers? The ones that will make a whole pot of coffee but there's no coffee pot? You place your mug in the right place and then push the button. It takes Folgers or other regular type coffee and not the K-cups. That might be the next option.

I still don't get how they can do this three times now when they make coffee daily at their place. Heck, I only have the coffee pot for them for when they visit.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Rose is right...the brew pause feature does not stop the brewing process if the pot is not aligned properly. A better suggestion would be to get a brewer with a timer and water reservoir. Set up the grounds and time to start the night before. This takes your guests completely out of the equation...the perfect place for them. lol!

Peaberry

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I still don't get how they can do this three times now when they make coffee daily at their place. Heck, I only have the coffee pot for them for when they visit.

Maybe it is their way of telling you that they think you should get up and make the coffee for them.

They'd probably enjoy playing with the single serve coffee maker if you get one, but maybe they'll forget to put the coffee mug in the right place and still make a mess.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
The thermal carafe Technivorm Moccomasters are not only great coffeemakers, they are nearly idiot-proof. They will not brew unless the carafe is correctly positioned and, even if you forget to turn them off, a float switch turns off the power when the water reservoir is empty. The potential downside is they have no clock or automatic features. Put in water and coffee, flip a switch to start brewing. I own two and think they are worth their price. YMMV, of course.

KBGT 741 Polished Silver - Technivorm

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Kudzu...that is one sweet looking machine. I would love to have one, but even for me $300.00 plus is unnecessary, as a pour over or french press or chemex or aeropress or siphon pot can be had for such a small fraction of the cost. Anyway...I love the look!

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Kudzu...that is one sweet looking machine. I would love to have one, but even for me $300.00 plus is unnecessary, as a pour over or french press or chemex or aeropress or siphon pot can be had for such a small fraction of the cost. Anyway...I love the look!

Good point! The Technivorms are not inexpensive. OTOH, I used a French press for a long time, and still use a Clever Dripper or Chemex when I just want to brew a serving or two. When I need a larger quantity, the Technivorms are convenient and brew excellent coffee. For me, freedom from fiddling with less convenient methods every morning of my life is a bargain for $300. Some people, perhaps you, actually enjoy the ritual of the manual methods. I can understand that, too. So many options...

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I do have a drip brewer for workday coffee, but I'm usually brewing Starbucks that my daughter (who works there) brings home as her "mark out" or freebie, so it isn't going to be anything special to begin with. Last night she brought home a new 10% Kona blend called Kopelani which is better than anything they've put out in the past...IMO. I might try putting some of that in my french press and see how it tastes!

Who knows, someday I may be exclusively drinking stuff I roast, and then getting a performance machine like the Technivorm would make sense!

Cheers

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Mr. Peaberry, if exclusively drinking coffee you have roasted is your wish, I hope it is realized before too long. Though I have never roasted my own coffee, I am sure there would be a special satisfaction in taking it from a green coffee bean all the way to a good brew in the cup.

When that day arrives, if you think your coffeemaker needs upgrading, many would undoubtedly serve your needs, but I would lean towards one of the machines now certified by the SCAA's Certified Home Brewer Program. There are surely others just as good that have not been submitted for certification, but I believe the certification provides a little assurance that a given machine will perform well. When I first got interested in specialty coffee, and brewing better coffee at home, and stumbled onto the SCAA, the Techinvorm was the only machine they had certified. If I were starting today, with no inherent bias, I do not know that I would necessarily choose a Technivorm.

BTW, your screen name is great! As long as I have been dropping by this forum it has made me smile.