Coffee Brewing Purchase Advice

djtech2k

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I am not a coffee/espresso drinker, but my wife definitely is. I am looking for a gift for her and could use some good advice on what device to buy.

She has been using the Cuisinart SS700 Keurig machine for years. She is on the second one and has loved it, but it is yet again now brewing very slow and incomplete cups. Flow seems fine without a k-cup inserted, but its becoming a major issue. I also bought her the Keurig Rivo expresso machine in 2015. She has used it a few times, but not very much. I think the "multiple steps" part makes it less attractive to her. The convenience of the Keurig system has been a big hit with her, but I think she is tired of the slow brew thing happening again.

So I am looking for a new idea. I want something that's not too much of a pain to learn how to use and produces very good coffee for her. I know she is open to going back to traditional brewing so I wanted to check the best options available. She uses the single cup a lot, but does like to be able to make more when we have guests.

I had heard good things about the Ninja Coffee bar, but know little about it.

Any suggestions for a nice setup?

djtech2k

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
For budget, I don't have anything set in concrete, but I know I am not going to spend anything close to $1000. Just to have a guess, maybe less than $500? I am very flexible. Of course less is better :) but I want something that she can enjoy for a long while. As for grinder, I have nothing. All-in-one is fine, or separate is ok too. Speed/convenience has been a big thing for her, but again with the Keurig not brewing fully she may be willing to sacrifice a little. Just a couple examples I saw that looked interesting are the Ninja coffee bar and the Cuisinart Coffee Center. The cuisinart can do a carafe as well as a single cup, which is nice. The ninja would be 100% new.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
The problem with ANY K-cup is they only hold about 11 grams of coffee. That's enough to make a 6oz cup of coffee.. and the standard cup is 11-12oz's.

If you don't mind separate brewer and grinder... I would look at the Bonavita 8 Cup w/ Stainless Craft ($180), awesome coffee maker. For the grinder the best 'intro' grinder is probably the Baratza Encore Grinder ($130). Solid little combo that will make excellent coffee. However, there is obviously the weighing of coffee / filling basket, etc. You really can't find much in your price range for a quality espresso machine. Juno appears to be the quality lead for Super Automatic espresso machines... but I don't know enough to give you any guidance. I would suggest calling one of the big mail order houses.

djtech2k

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I glanced at the bonavita and will take some time to check it out more.

My first impression makes me wonder about ease of use and the ability to make single cups. As I said, my wife is the only one that drinks coffee on daily basis and I think convenience has been a big factor for her. We do entertain guests, where it would be nice to be able to make a pot of coffee as well.

Since I got her the Rivo, she has seldom used it. I got it because I thought she would like to make things like Latte, Cappuccino, Frap, etc. I do not know if its the extra time to do it or if she just likes coffee better, or just both. That's why I think this purchase would be more about a coffee solution than an espresso solution.

After looking around a bit more, I am thinking that maybe something can do single cup and multi-cup brewing might be a good fit for my wife. Are there any good machines that do that well?

Last edited:

djtech2k

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I think something like a dripper or french press is going to be too much of a manual process for her. I am sure there are times she might have time to do it, but the majority will be to grab a cup while doing other things. So I think more of brewing machine will be a better fit.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
After looking around a bit more, I am thinking that maybe something can do single cup and multi-cup brewing might be a good fit for my wife. Are there any good machines that do that well?

Any brewer can make smaller amounts... and if you buy one with a Stainless craft it will remain hot for a good amount of time. But it sounds like you are leaning more towards a super automatic type of machines. K-cups will work but understand you will never get a great cup of coffee out of a Kuerig type machine. You may want to consider a super auto espresso machine that makes coffee... seems like it fits your needs best. Something like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9yljRv8yPY

djtech2k

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The SS700 seems to be working again, but I guess I may be looking at more long term on this one.

What about the Ninja Coffee Bar or Cuisinart Coffee Center? Any opinions on those?

I am on the fence about whether to completely abandon the k-cup style. I completely understand that its not the best cup of coffee that can be made, but I do know that she has been ok with it for several years. I think she knows how to make it the way she likes it, which is most important. The ease of use is a big bonus I think. Making that area better and adding the ability to make multiple cups sounds like a winning plan for my situation.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well.. Ninja is simply a marketing company (they hit big with their blender obviously)... I don't see that anything other than a standard brewer. Would take the Bonavita anyday over that brewer... the Bonavita is proven and one of the few SCAA certified products. As far as the Cusinart... it looks like they took their standard brewer and added a k-cup..