Coffee Maker Advice for a Complete Newbie?

morning_bryan

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice for a complete beginner about which coffee maker I should buy.

I've only been drinking coffee for about a year now, I never used to like it as a kid but recently have started getting into it. I grab a cup from Starbucks most every morning before work and usually at lunch, that is to say I only buy my coffee I don't actually have the means to make it yet.

Where do I start? I did some Google research but it's all a little confusing and I'd like to talk to some actual people who know what they're doing. Basically I'm just looking for tips on what type of coffee maker is most suitable for beginners, ideally I want one easy to use, not too advanced and not too expensive

I know my mom has some sort of Keurig coffee maker and I've tried one from that and found it to be okay but I'm not exactly sure which model it is or anything

thcstephen

Sep 3, 2016
Boston, MA
Visit site
It depends how much you want to spend. Every coffee maker is different and does different things so it'll depend on what kind of capabilities you want it to have. If you're just making coffee for yourself and you only drink one or two cups a day then a Keurig like the one your mom has is probably suitable because you can get so many varieties of K-Cup for it and they only make 1 cup at a time.

Or if you want something that's manual and more traditional (although it takes a little longer and might be a bit harder to master) you could get a French press, you can pick one up for quite cheap and then decide if you want to buy something else. Another alternative to that is the Aeropress which is quite popular, basically like a press but faster and it only makes one cup at a time, a lot of beginners seem to like those.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess the big divide is between whether you want to buy whole bean coffee, or pre ground coffee. You can start off with a blade grinder, but if you want to "do it right", then get a burr grinder. Once you have the ability to covert fresh roasted whole bean coffee into coffee grounds, your brewing method will become more of a factor. Like thcstephen, I would encourage you to get a french press or Aeropress.

morning_bryan

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
How much would I be looking at to get a good burr grinder? I would like to grind my own beans if possible since I have heard that's the best possible way to drink coffee

I've been looking at the Aeropress and I like the look of it and I may buy one but I may also get a coffee machine in addition to that since the Aeropress is so cheap. I think I might prefer a coffee machine with a pot that makes several cups at once too since the rest of my family would probably drink too. I just don't want it to come to too much if I'm buying a grinder too so maybe it will have to be just the Aeropress and the grinder.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
You can get a basic Krups blade grinder for $19.00. A decent burr grinder will cost you about $40.00 to $50.00...I'm talking about a Hario hand grinder not an electric burr grinder. I have a Bodum Bistro electric coffee grinder which sells at Wally World for about $80.00. If you go with the blade grinder, you will want to develop your skill of shaking the grinder as it grinds, and using a count as if you grind too long or do not shake, you will have a lot of fines and dust. Personally, if I were you, I'd step up into at least a burr grinder...make sure it is a conical set as it generates less heat during the grind. My drip machine is a Bunn 10 cup Velocity Brewer...it was a gift, but I like that it brews coffee fast. This is because of the internal reservoir that keeps an on demand batch of water at high temp. When you pour your water in...the fresh water replenishes the on demand water used for your current pot of coffee. I can literally pour in my water, go shave, and have a pot of coffee ready to pour when I'm done.

streem26

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
If you haven't decided check some reviews , http://jonsguide.org/best-home-espresso-machine-reviews/ and consider what style and format of machine you want.
Automatic: machine controls time and pressure – you just press a button for single or double shot
Super automatic: machine grinds, tamps, extracts, you just put the cup under and select the drink like a vending machine – some froth the milk, and can make lates, cappachinos etc, others have a wand and you steam it like on a semi/auto.
:coffeemug:

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Mr.Peaberry's advice is all spot-on. I cannot resist adding, for your inexpensive manual method, consider the Clever Dripper and, if your budget permits, for your multi-cup coffeemaker, check out the the SCAA certified machines. That said, I have a friend who is a chef, and very particular, who is delighted with the Bunn Mr.Peaberry recommends. There are many answers to your questions, only you can decide what suits you best. You will likely experiment and evolve over time, but all along the way you will enjoy better coffee than 98% of the population.

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Hey morning_bryan

AeroPress or the Clever Dripper as Kudzu said. I have the AeroPress! Love it!
An alternative beginner pour over dripper is the Kalita Wave. I have the Hario V60 and I didn't know when I ordered it, but the V60 has a big whole so it's a little harder to control the water flow to not pour too fast.

The Clever Dripper has a shut-off valve which only opens when you put it on a cup. So no worries about pouring to fast or slow.

I have the Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder too, as Mr. Peaberry. The price is great and I really like it!

If you can, wait for Black Friday! I checked: currently the black Bodum Bistro is $70 at Amazon. I believe last year it was still $100 and I found it on Black Friday for $79.
But it's already a great price! Just saying...sometimes there are some great deals on drip coffee makers and even burr grinders.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
For an automatic type drip machine I HIGHLY recommend the Bunn Phase Brew. Picked mine up at Lowe's for $99 (glass carafe model) and there is a thermal carafe model for a bit more $. It is unique for a drip machine as it is basically an automatic manual pourover if that makes sense. Instead of spitting/spurting water over the grounds leading to inconsistent temps it fully heats the water in the top reservoir and once it hits around 203 degrees a thermal valve pops open and all the water passes over the grounds in a very steady flow. Total time is 10 minutes for an 8 cup cycle... 6 mins to heat the water and 4 mins to pass thru the basket. I brew black tea in mine, but have had it for 3 years now and not a single issue. Every time I have checked water temp when the thermal valve pops open it has been 203-204 degrees.

Of course you can go the Aeropress, manual pourover, French press, etc route as well. Really depends on how involved you would like to be with the process. Of course I highly recommend a decent grinder and sourcing the freshest roasted coffee you can find for the best experience possible.

SandraH

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
If you're looking into the french press world, you MUST opt for stainless steel, they are invaluable in terms of durability. I myself have broken multiple glass presses in my day, and frankly became fed up with them. There's a lot of great presses available, there is a few reviewed at 5 Best French Presses - Get the best flavor out of your beans!, only one of which I've personally purchased (Sterling).

In my opinion all the top stainless steel ones are basically the same, the only real difference is if you're looking for a bigger brew size. I would definitely recommend investing in a french press, they seem daunting at first, but once you get a hang of the process you won't be going back to drip coffee anytime soon.

Hope that helps! :coffee: Happy brewing!
Sandra

sheila17

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm Sheila M. Miller. I seen your post yesterday. I think a coffee lover needs to a coffee maker. It will be more easier and save the time. I have more ideas about coffee maker. The price is reasonable and its vary the quality of a machine and materials. You can easily make 12 cups of coffee at a time if u needed. Total machine are made by stainless steel. The price is reasonable, I think it will be $150. So let me know what you have needed.

Thanks.

BGrubb

Nov 16, 2016
Irvine, CA
Visit site
My $.02:

1) A Keurig will not advance your knowledge of or appreciation for coffee. I had one for a short time and it certainly was convenient in a small office with people who liked different things, but once I got one at home I was suddenly aware of how mediocre (and worse) every cup of coffee was compared to coffee from my standard drip machine. You can't learn about how you like it made, and you can't appreciate the difference between coffees with a Keurig. It's kinda like using a Hostess vending machine to learn to appreciate baked goods.

2) A French press is a great idea. You'll learn a lot about how coffee is made, and it's a cheap way to go. The downside is that it is very labor-intensive compared with automatic machines. You'll love it at first, but you may tire of the time it takes to make a cup. I have one and I love it. I use it sometimes at home and it's awesome for camping, but both preparation and clean-up are more time-intensive than other methods.

3) Any decent drip machine with a cone filter will give you pretty consistent results and will allow you to advance in your knowledge and appreciation of coffee. I had a pretty basic Braun machine for many, many years. It served me faithfully and made solid coffee...

4)...HOWEVER, I recently bought a Technivorm Moccamaster and it is rocking my world. Never had better coffee at home. Every coffee I am familiar with is brighter and has a cleaner finish in this machine. Handmade in the Netherlands, It's about $300, which is about as much as you can pay for a drip/pour over machine (unless there are some exotic machines I'm not aware of), but to me it is completely worth it. Simple to use, easy to clean, fun to watch and beautiful on the counter, I absolutely love it. The heating element is top notch and it delivers consistently heated water to your grounds. I am thoroughly enjoying trying different coffees now that I know I have a coffee maker that will show each in its best light.

coffee771

Dec 29, 2016
Texas
Visit site
It really depends on what type of lifestyle you live. Having a Keurig machine will be a quick way for you get your daily morning cup of coffee. If you time to learn, getting a small espresso machine might be a good idea. It allows you to make a wide selection of espresso drinks. A french press is also a good alternative. But you have to let it sit for at least 5 minutes for the coffee beans to turn the water into a good tasting coffee. There are lots of espresso machines on the market as well if that is what you are looking for. I would recommend looking for an automatic espresso machine these are typically the easiest ones to use.

Last edited:

abishek28592

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
Buying a separate grinder and a machine usually costs a little more than simply buying an automatic espressomachine with a built-in grinder. Having a separate grinder can allow you to mess with different grinds, so you can find the best option. But there are some automatic machines that will also allow you to adjust the grind.

I came across some top 6 commercial espresso machines you can visit here if you want one
Commercial Espresso Machines

Last edited:

streem26

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
My advice would be: avoid the Keurigs altogether, and go with a pod coffee maker. Two main reasons: coffees I've had from every Keurig's machine I've used (a few models, from this amazing list) ALL taste weak and thin (regardless of coffee volume selected), except for a couple of extra-bold varieties (Sumatra was one, forget the brand), which were barely passable. And those stupid k-cups take up a lot of room to store. Silly design.

OTOH, the pod machines make a much better cup of joe in my experience. There are several levels of machines to choose from,and a huge variety of pods. The pods are flat and easy to store (imagine that!) in individual foil packets

Last edited: