Help - Newbie with Epoca S1

Hermon

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone - I'm pretty new to the espresso world but have become addicted and decided to by a decent machine for home use. I ran across a used Rancilio Epoca S1 tank model that was being sold at an local auction. The auction was liquidating a local business and the Epoca was being used there. It has not had heavy use.

Anyway - I was told by several people that the machine works fine. I purchased machine - when I got home and plugged it in I cannot get anything to happen. There is power as both green lights light up. The amber light that shows low tank level is also lit up even though tank is full. The pump has never made a sound.

I think the pump isn't working because it thinks the tank is empty.

Any help would greatly appreciated!!

dave

p.s. Auction was "as is" so I'm stuck now no matter what.

Hermon

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
There is a reset button on the Epoca... doesn't sound like that's the issue but a easy process to check/eliminate.

Thanks for the reply - I checked the reset that the YouTube video talks about and it appears to be in and not popped.

Another piece of info - the boiler is not heating up either. The light that indicates low water level in the boiler is not lit up - just the low tank level light.

im hoping it's something simple and just my ignorance. It didn't come with any manuals so I downloaded it online. It's really not much help.

Thanks again.

Dave

Hermon

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Found out some more information- I removed both sides of unit now and on the right side I noticed that two different plastic 4 pin wire connectors appear to have melted a little on two wires. I disconnected the connectors and there is quite a bit of damage from those connections getting very very warm at some point.
I'm sure there was no electrical connection being made there.

I'll probably try to find some more plastic connectors like what was on there but am wondering now if they will just do the same thing.

Once again I'm learning as I go here and any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

coffee771

Dec 29, 2016
Texas
Visit site
I would suggest finding a local electrical savvy person who has some known about espresso machines. Unless you are a handy person, in which case try looking through youtube videos for troubleshooting or electrical problems to see if you can fix the problem. The comments on this video seem to be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jsHWZxvqTM. Maybe try reaching out to some of the commentators about the problems you are experiencing.

Hermon

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks very much for your reply and suggestions. Since I posted my question I've continued to tinker with the machine and have re wired some portions with better connections. I believe previous ones were not getting very good contact and that's why they melted on those pins.

Machine is now up and running. I'm leaving the sides off for awhile so I can continue to check those connections as well as other wiring.

Thanks again.

Dave