Bunn "My Cafe"--anyone?

sukispop

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I've been looking at the single serve pod machines, like the Senseo, the Keurig B50, and, most lately, the Bunn My Cafe.

I like the Keurig, but realize that the pods are quite a bit more economical than the K-cups...plus, there seem to be many more makes of pods available than for those of K-cups...so I'm really interested in the new Bunn My Cafe.

Does anyone here have the My Cafe, and can comment on it? I know that Bunn is the largest commercial coffeemaker company in the U.S., and they have a pretty good reputation.

Thanks for your help!

:lol:

mmm_Coffee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered one yesterday. I should get it this week. I'll let you know.
I am on my second tassimo machine. In my opinion, it makes better coffee than the keurig machines.
It uses more pressure and hotter water.
But I want to use fresh ground beans instead of pre-made pods or cups.
Lately I have been brewing in a sauce pan on the stove. It is the best coffee I have ever made.
I can control the grind, temp, and brew time.
I pour into the cup through a metal strainer.
After research, the bunn seems to most closely resemble the desired conditions.
The stove top brew is great but a lot more work and clean up.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Lately I have been brewing in a sauce pan on the stove. It is the best coffee I have ever made.
I can control the grind, temp, and brew time.
I pour into the cup through a metal strainer.
After research, the bunn seems to most closely resemble the desired conditions.
The stove top brew is great but a lot more work and clean up.

That sounds like a french press without the french press.

mmm_Coffee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Kind of a cross between the French press and cowboy coffee.
The French press steeps the coffee while the water gradually cools.
And I DO enjoy a good pressed cup of coffee.
The difference is that I am able to maintain a constant temp, just below boiling, and stir slowly/continuously for several minutes.
The problem with cowboy coffee is that the flavor seems to get boiled out of it.
Don't care much for the paper filters either. It seems like in order to get enough flavor you end up adding some bitterness.
Maybe I am just too darn picky? LOL

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Sorry OP, for the thread-jack...

A good buddy does a variation on cowboy coffee, using his microwave; he heats it a certain setting for so long, then stirs, puts it back in for a bit, then stops and stirs, then heats it to the final temp. He's the pickiest person, especially for coffee and his palate is better than mine, so I know he's getting a good cup o' joe. At the end, he doesn't filter it, but pours it out of the pyrex measuring cup slowly enough that the grounds don't get into his mug.

Have you checked the temp of your brew? It sounds like it may be getting hotter than you think, or maybe it's going to long. ?

mmm_Coffee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I heat the water to boil then back off on the temp to just below boiling before adding the grounds.
It is always smoother than drip with the same bean, no matter how strong I make it.
I am careful not to boil the grounds as that seems to boil off the body.
I am currently using a dark roasted bean from Cambodia that a friend picked up at a farmer's market while over there.
I hope this new bunn machine makes a good cup.
Can't wait to start experimenting with grind, bean, water etc.

mmm_Coffee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok, got the bunn my café today.
Tried the loose grind drawer. It was good. Better in my opinion than keurig or tassimo.
I still need to play around some to optimize the grind and amount.
I didn't use the pulse brew feature today either. I will try that next.
But so far, I definitely like it.