Does an expensive semi-auto espresso machine really make a difference?

RicD

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I currently own a Delonghi EC155 and though I'm somewhat dissatisfied with some of the features (e.g., the screw on steam nozzle), it seems adequate. I am considering buying another machine, but have a hard time justifying $200/300 plus when I'm not that sure it will give me a better cappuccino or latte or espresso.
Thanks!

quoffee_queen

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I currently own a Delonghi EC155 and though I'm somewhat dissatisfied with some of the features (e.g., the screw on steam nozzle), it seems adequate. I am considering buying another machine, but have a hard time justifying $200/300 plus when I'm not that sure it will give me a better cappuccino or latte or espresso.
Thanks!

I understand the rage behind having fancy coffee machines. However, I dont believe they make a difference. I cannot afford one myself but I have tried others machines who do have them. I personally couldnt tell the difference between the basic one i have and the very expensive one. However, if you are dead set on getting an expensive machine, consider going to an outlet mall. You can get great products for sometimes half the cost! I dont know where you live but there is a terrific one near me. Let me know what you wind up getting!

duc687

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Umm...
If you can't tell the difference then of course don't spend any more money on an expensive machine but honestly of course there's a difference, you get what you pay for.
Of course that being said a grinder is even more important

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
To an extent yes, but past a certain point not really. Higher end machines primarily offer better build quality/longevity, temperature management and thermal stability giving you more consistency with less effort. Higher end machines also offer more ease/speed of use when steaming milk without the wait times/anemic steam volume/pressure of lesser machines. I could care less about that as milk is for babies, lmao. Lower end machines (to a degree) are quite capable, just require a good understanding of the process and more effort involved. As the old saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Generally speaking an espresso machine has two main functions... to regulate brew pressure and brew temperature. An espresso capable grinder should not only grind fine enough, but needs to do so in a consistent manner and offer a fair amount of adjustability in an espresso grind range as it's not a set it-forget it type of scenario.

IMHO the order of importance is fresh coffee, skill, determination, grinder and machine. The whole 'grinder is the MOST important part' mantra is B.S. to a degree. Yes grind is extremely important for espresso, but you don't have to spend a buttload for decent grind quality like some want you to believe. Some people have more $ and time than they do common sense/skill. If you don't have fresh coffee suitable for espresso, skill and determination then the equipment is pretty much useless.

I've owned/used some very good home/commercial machines/grinders and my current (and likely my last) setup is a Rancilio Silvia/Rocky combo. There are lots of unskilled whiners that complain about the temp management of the Silvia, stepped adjustment of the Rocky, blah, blah, blah... After all the equipment I've had my hands on in the last 8-9 years I'm quite satisfied with the espresso I'm getting from this setup and coffee I roast. Best part is I spent a 'whopping' $250 on the Silvia/Rocky via Craigslist. Don't be afraid to buy used if you know what to look for and don't mind a bit of cleaning/maintenance, which almost always positively offsets the investment.

Last edited:

duc687

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
And the answer is still...
yes
But it really does come down to one thing...
Taste
If you're happy with the coffee your set up is producing look no further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The OP might want to give a bit more info... what coffee (how fresh), grinder, etc. is being used. If they plan to stick with milk based drinks then an upgrade might not justify the cost. I say that as milk tends to mask most defects in espresso. I personally think it's a waste for people to spend thousands on equipment, just to do primarily milk based drinks. To each his own, just a purist at this point in the coffee game. Kind of like spending 6 figures on an exotic car only to baby it by driving like grandma.

You can search for some simple mods that might enhance your current machine, yielding even better results than you might expect.

I will also add that if your budget is $300~ you won't find much in the way of a new machine that is much better than what you have. Most machines at that price point usually have pressurized portafilter/baskets as well as thermo block/coil heating systems. They work good enough to achieve fair results. Just don't be drawn in by the marketing B.S. like 'fast 2 minute heat time' or '15 bars of pressure', etc...

Last edited:

gnappi

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Buy cheap, get cheap.

In another thread I noted my machine. Being Italian American, and growing up in a coffee / espresso culture I wanted a machine early on. I had probably a dozen cheap models, all went to the land fill. A good machine is worth the money. They last long, cycle temps quickly, froth half and half beautifully (no skim or whole milk here) don't rot the crucible, or seals, and make great espresso.