Beginner's espresso machine: DeLonghi EC 680/685 or alternative?

holger

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi there,

I've recently learned that espresso can taste great and I want to buy a budget espresso machine.
What I want is:
  • an espresso that isn't bitter and that's very low in acids/has no 'sour' taste
  • nicely frothed milk for cappuccino
  • a startup / pre-heat time of <<5 minutes

I do have a Hario Skerton mill at home. Is that good enough for espressos for a start?
I'd buy the beans from a small local store that roasts itself - the cappuccino there taste great!

Does the DeLonghi 680 (the new 685 seems to be released just now, seems quite similar) make a good cup of cappuccino?
I'd like to have 80% of the great taste as when prepared with an expensive espresso machine, and especially no sourness, no bitterness.
Would that be possible if I take high quality beans?

I don't care too much about the look and feel of the machine, how big the bubbles in the crema are, or how heavy the portafilter is - I only care about the taste of the cappuccino.
Or would you recommend me buy a used machine like a Gaggia Classic (the pre-Philips model)? I live in Europe, in case that matters.

Would appreciate any help

gnappi

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Here's my experience with "budget" machines.

They make espresso, they break really fast, you buy another one it makes espresso, it breaks really fast... and on and on. Ultimately you spend a LOT of money on them and drink very little espresso.

I bought a $600 Starbucks Barista machine over 20 years ago and made thousands of cups, it has never failed. A good machine is well worth the bucks. I'm not saying you have to buy a high end machine, but anything worth having is worth investing a bit more money in. YMMV