Wet pucks with Xwlsis Evo

falkunmalti

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi

I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a Saeco Xelsis Evo superauto. While the machine appears to work well, my coffee pucks are consistently so wet that they lose their shape in the coffee grounds drawer. Is there something I am doing wrong or can someone suggest what to do. I have tried changing the grind. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I know nothing about those machines, but maybe it's just the design/function. A few things worthy of mentioning... Can you change the dose? Have you tried other coffees?

In a semi-auto with a 3-way I often have wet/soupy pucks, but this is affected by dose, grind fineness, different coffees due to roast level/freshness.

falkunmalti

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
I know nothing about those machines, but maybe it's just the design/function. A few things worthy of mentioning... Can you change the dose? Have you tried other coffees?

In a semi-auto with a 3-way I often have wet/soupy pucks, but this is affected by dose, grind fineness, different coffees due to roast level/freshness.

Thanks for this shadow745. I suspected that dosing etc. would be critical. The Saeco does not allow you to change the tamping but there is adjustment to grind settings. I am trying some finer grind settings, hopefully that will dry the pucks some. Also, I have been drinking more Americanos than other brews and someone mentioned to me that Americanos produce wetter pucks. I am going to try brewing more espressos and note the difference.

falkunmalti

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
Finer grind will cause the puck to retain more moisture, but to obtain more concentrated flavor it's a trade off.

What coffee(s) are you using? Freshness and roast level can affect this as well.

Lavazza Red. Roast level is medium I think. But I had a gaggia titanium before and the pucks were always well formed. Same coffee. Of course not sure of the grind level.