Recommendations for a super-automatic machine under $2,000?

jackedonjoe

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I'd love it to have a built-in bean hopper and grinder, as well as the ability to also make coffee (though Americano is probably okay), and latte/cappuccino (I'm open to machines that auto-froth the milk, as well as those that have a steamer so you can froth it manually).

The ones I've looked at are:

• Saeco Philips Intelia Deluxe

• Jura IMPRESSA C65

• DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica

• Breville BES870XL Barista Express (I know this one is a semi-automatic, but it keeps showing up on the moderately priced "best of" lists)

• Jura ENA 9 One Touch

• Saeco Intelia Deluxe HD8759/47

• DeLonghi ECAM22110SB

• Gaggia Brera

• Jura ENA Micro 9

Any advice on these, or suggestions of others, would be really appreciated!

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
I hate all full automatic machines because they make weak coffee and poor quality microfoam. But, the best i have tried but might not be a true automatic is the Breville Oracle. They now have a new model that was presented at the SCA last weekend. So you may find a good deal on the previous model or go for the newer one with the LCD screen and all improvements. The main problem with most automatic machine (including the Oracle) is the complexity of their mechanics to achieve the desired automation. So they tend to broke more often and are hard for you to repair. Also, the most important aspect to get great espresso is the grinder and most of theses machines have very average grinder so you can't get great coffee. So for sure it is a matter of compromise.

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I have a super automatic Saeco Xsmall. It makes decent enough americanos ... with the caveat of: FYI: Actually all supers make Lungos because americanos are technically a shot or 2 put in hot water. Lungos are shots extracted to the point of overextraction and then some. That is what supers do and they call that an americano. However if you only want to do a shot or 2 and thats it you should really get an espresso machine. I have a gaggia baby and it is a fine machine for just my own use.

Len

jackedonjoe

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I hate all full automatic machines because they make weak coffee and poor quality microfoam. But, the best i have tried but might not be a true automatic is the Breville Oracle. They now have a new model that was presented at the SCA last weekend. So you may find a good deal on the previous model or go for the newer one with the LCD screen and all improvements. The main problem with most automatic machine (including the Oracle) is the complexity of their mechanics to achieve the desired automation. So they tend to broke more often and are hard for you to repair. Also, the most important aspect to get great espresso is the grinder and most of theses machines have very average grinder so you can't get great coffee. So for sure it is a matter of compromise.

Thanks for the info. In that case, what's the simplest, most dummy-proof "I'm not awake enough to think straight" semi-automatic that you'd recommend? For example, what do you think of the Breville I mentioned in my original post?

Also, someone else recommended the Breville BES980XL Oracle, so maybe I should look seriously at it!

Last edited:

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
A semi-auto mean you will need a separate grinder and learn a bit more about the proper technique like dosing, distributing, tamping, calibrating the grind with the flow of the espresso, etc... I don't like the Barista express. If you go in the semi-auto route, the Breville Dual Boiler is hard to beat for the price. I mean the BDB920. But you need to pair it with a good grinder, at least something like the Baratza 270. This is probably the best combo for your bucks but not the most durable for long term.

Or you can buy used gear but then, i would stay away from Breville and look for something more bullet proof like a used La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi for example with maybe a used compak grinder or Mazzer. Something more durable and easier to repair/maintain.

jackedonjoe

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
A semi-auto mean you will need a separate grinder and learn a bit more about the proper technique like dosing, distributing, tamping, calibrating the grind with the flow of the espresso, etc... I don't like the Barista express. If you go in the semi-auto route, the Breville Dual Boiler is hard to beat for the price. I mean the BDB920. But you need to pair it with a good grinder, at least something like the Baratza 270. This is probably the best combo for your bucks but not the most durable for long term.

Or you can buy used gear but then, i would stay away from Breville and look for something more bullet proof like a used La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi for example with maybe a used compak grinder or Mazzer. Something more durable and easier to repair/maintain.

I think I'm getting confused by the terminology. What type would you call the Breville Oracle? Since that does have a grinder built in.

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
The Breville Oracle is hard to classified ;) Really it is certainly the most automated semi-automatic machine, does that help? :)

The grinding/tamping is automated and the milk frothing is also automated. You just need to move the PF from the group and into the grind chamber and back to the group. After that you only need to pour the microfoam into the espresso (example for a milk based drink). On a true automatic machine, you just press a bottom and the machine does the rest for you. Some peoples call the machines that pour automatically the milk directly into your cup a Super automatic while the one that still require a milk pitcher and pouring yourself the milk will be call just Automatic. But don't worry too much about the terminology. Not everyone will agree anyway on the terms. The best thing is to visit a local dealer and see some machines and ideally try somes.

Oh BTW, that's funny that i write about Automatic machines while i am a lever guys :)

jackedonjoe

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
The Breville Oracle is hard to classified ;) Really it is certainly the most automated semi-automatic machine, does that help? :)

The grinding/tamping is automated and the milk frothing is also automated. You just need to move the PF from the group and into the grind chamber and back to the group. After that you only need to pour the microfoam into the espresso (example for a milk based drink). On a true automatic machine, you just press a bottom and the machine does the rest for you. Some peoples call the machines that pour automatically the milk directly into your cup a Super automatic while the one that still require a milk pitcher and pouring yourself the milk will be call just Automatic. But don't worry too much about the terminology. Not everyone will agree anyway on the terms. The best thing is to visit a local dealer and see some machines and ideally try somes.

Oh BTW, that's funny that i write about Automatic machines while i am a lever guys :)

Ah, thanks for clarifying!

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
If you are planning on going with a semi-auto and you have a 2k budget there is a lot of solid equipment (espresso machine and grinder) you can get for that price. Seattle Coffee Gear has some combo packages for about two grand. You could also probably find go good higher end used gear if you wanted to go that route.

Last edited:

jackedonjoe

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
If you are planning on going with a semi-auto and you have a 2k budget there is a lot of solid equipment (espresso machine and grinder) you can get for that price. Seattle Coffee Gear has some combo packages for about two grand. You could also probably find go good higher end used gear if you wanted to go that route.

Any specifics you'd look at?

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Any specifics you'd look at?
Preferable something without a lot of plastic, my machine is a dual boiler (separate boiler for steam and brewing) or a heat exchanger would be good choices. For a grinder it should definitely be a burr grinder (either flat burrs or conical). wholelattelove.com and seattlecoffeegear.com both have some good choices. They are espresso machines though so they won't do the regular coffee, but can do americanos.

jackedonjoe

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. Optimally, I'd still prefer a super automatic. Or, at worst, something like the Oracle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk