Bunn G1 Motor question

JJCR

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi all...I am the new owner of an old, used Bunn G1 grinder. The burrs need replacing...but that is another discussion topic. My question is on the motor. The grinder runs great but when you turn it off, the motor free-spins for a long time. It seems that there should be something that would slow the motor down, like a circuit and/or clutch...or even the motor itself...maybe the magnets are shot. Just a question...how long should the motor spin after power is turned off.

Thanks!
Jay

Shuffledew

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all...I am the new owner of an old, used Bunn G1 grinder. The burrs need replacing...but that is another discussion topic. My question is on the motor. The grinder runs great but when you turn it off, the motor free-spins for a long time. It seems that there should be something that would slow the motor down, like a circuit and/or clutch...or even the motor itself...maybe the magnets are shot. Just a question...how long should the motor spin after power is turned off.

Thanks!
Jay
There doesn't seem to be a mechanism to slow it down. Burrs are easy to replace, just need to put a little elbow into it, and be careful not to strip out the screw heads on the top plate!!
7689af0d01817f71071221511d2d24fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JJCR

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Shuffledew...as far as the burrs go, I've removed them on another Bunn G2 for cleaning...pretty simple task. My dilemma is whether to get the Ditting burrs or go with a new set of Bunn burrs. I can do the Bunn burrs for about 1/2 the cost...and it would do everything I need it to do. Doing the Ditting mod would have the "cool" factor...not sure I can justify the additional cost for coolness. Either way, they both come with new screws. ;-)

Shuffledew

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Shuffledew...as far as the burrs go, I've removed them on another Bunn G2 for cleaning...pretty simple task. My dilemma is whether to get the Ditting burrs or go with a new set of Bunn burrs. I can do the Bunn burrs for about 1/2 the cost...and it would do everything I need it to do. Doing the Ditting mod would have the "cool" factor...not sure I can justify the additional cost for coolness. Either way, they both come with new screws. ;-)
Simple enough! I use Ditting for all of my customers. They are great quality, and IMO worth the $350-450 that they cost.

However, nothing at all wrong with Bunn burrs...

JJCR

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Simple enough! I use Ditting for all of my customers. They are great quality, and IMO worth the $350-450 that they cost.

However, nothing at all wrong with Bunn burrs...

Thanks! Where do you get the adapter rings when installing the Ditting burrs in the Bunn grinders? Mill City doesn't sell the rings by themselves...