improving taste and crema to espresso shot

aloded0311

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
hi,
i'm using a method to improve my espresso.
i use a stainless steel screen plate on top of the grounded coffee.
this ensure that the water penetrate the ground coffee evenly
New Doc 2017-06-01 (1).jpg
i use this method with my espresso machine
so far very good results

i need youe opinions about this method

Look at my YouTube video please: [h=2]improving taste and crema to espresso shot[/h]
thanks
oded

[h=2][/h]

Last edited:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do. I took a look at your video, and your routine is solid, but it's an unnecessary piece of metal that may improve flow into the puck, but that issue has already been solved.

If what you showed is an improvement in your crema, I am wondering what it was before. It seems quite normal or maybe even a bit underwhelming. What is the freshness and quality of your beans? Are you trying to compensate for a different problem?

I pulled a shot just now, and I would argue the additional metal reduces actual crema.
fd19426e5bc0458a5dc8b88244560fca.jpg

aloded0311

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi john,
A lot of crema is not a garantee for good taste of the coffee .
You can get a nice crema from a pressurized basket you no that.
But with this distribution plate the flavor is amazing from my experience.

I'm trying to get consistency .

aloded0311

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
The shower plate wont help you if your pack of ground coffee is not fine or not tampered the it should and the water will go through the soft spots and cracks.
And by that you are not using the all pack of coffee.
My intention is to join all the pack for the mission by giving them the same amount of water to complete the process

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
The shower plate wont help you if your pack of ground coffee is not fine or not tampered the it should and the water will go through the soft spots and cracks.
And by that you are not using the all pack of coffee.
My intention is to join all the pack for the mission by giving them the same amount of water to complete the process

So if I understand you correctly the "goal" of the screen is to properly tamp your portafilter?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Pressurized portafilter does NOT create crema... it's a false or manufactured crema.

As both Musicphan and I noted, the plate is likely taking away crema... difference between bottomless and spouted portafilter.

As long as you have a pump driven machine and are using fresh beans, grinding, dosing, distributing and tamping correctly, then ... Any taste issues are bad coffee, improper technique, or a poorly calibrated machine.

aloded0311

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
The big advantage we get from using this method is
to force the hot water to penetrate the ground coffee evenly across the contact surface.
The water flow is regulated true out all the brewing process

mfortin

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Also, some suggest to use an aeropress paper at the bottom of the coffee puck in the basket (published in uk coffee forum). It is suppose to allow you to grind finer, avoiding basket clogging and increase the extraction. It reduces crema too.

aloded0311

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
Hello,
One more advantage witch for me it's a big one.
Now i use the same basket for single and double shot.
Just put the amount needed for single shot tamp and put on Top the ETP and enjoy ��

Last edited:

aloded0311

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site

not exactly the same.
A good screen won't guarantee you a good espresso.
It all depend on the air gap between the screen and the grounded coffee.
The screen designed to seat on top the ground coffee.
If you use less coffee in the basket the air gap is bigger.
In my ETP method the screen always seat on top the groundcoffee so you can use single shot in a double basket.
The ETP screen not attached the machine and that's why youget good coffee taste and crema almost every shot.

Last edited: