Need Help Please: De'Longhi ECP3420 -Three Baskets?

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Just received this unit, historically I use EC155. Anyway, there are three baskets, I assume that the icon's of one and two scoops are one and two scoops, but what is the first basket?
IMG_20170708_113127_edit (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
All three are pressurized baskets and the 1st one is likely to be used for pods.

View attachment 7784

That certainly could be the usage for it. Not the first thing on my mind, never seen them and never used them. So far I'm finding the ECP3420 to operate differently then the xx155 as far as grind size. I haven't figured it out yet but I can get a reasonable Crema. The steam wand is superior on the 3420 than the 155. I don't know that I will like the 3420 baskets as much as the 155. You cannot break them down for cleaning. Also I'm searching for 3420 baskets so I can have a set that has the pressure regulating hole drilled out. I prefer to set back pressure with grind size and tamping. I also noticed that some automatic espresso machines will start then stop to allow grind to swell a bit then come back on. I'm experimenting with that as a normal technique and I'm liking it so far. But so far on day two I can still get a better crema on the 155 than the 3420, which might just simple mean I need to keep working on the grind.
Cheers